We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

january in salzburg??

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
january in salzburg??

It is my partner's 40th birthday in January and I am thinking of surprising him with a trip to Salzburg. He has never been and I think he will enjoy how beautiful it is. Most of the reviews posted are about salzburg in spring / summer. Is everything open in January or do certain attractions close? Basically, I want him to see salzburg at it's best... is Janyary a good time?

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: january in salzburg??

Pretty much everything is open. One notable exception is Hellbrunn Palace & Trick Fountains.

Transport is running should you choose to explore outside Salzburg.

It's not going to be as busy as it is in the summer months.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: january in salzburg??

The most important thing to consider is the weather. In January it can drop way below zero and sometimes not get above zero for days. Number of day light hours limited. January can be the coldest month of the year.

Of course if you like Snow and Scenery you can take trips out into the Lake district. Which looks spectacular at this time of the year.

So I would consider what you are planning to do. If it's museums etc it's a great time to visit as it's quiet.

How many nights were you thinking of staying for?

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: january in salzburg??

Hello.

Thanks for your reply. I have been in summer years ago and know how beautiful it is then. But his birthday is in Jan and so snow and thermals it will have to be. We wpuld be wanting to see the museums and maybe the salt caves... if they are open in winter.

Hoping to stay for 4 or 5 nights on this visit. Any must do things to do while we are there??

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: january in salzburg??

Hello.

Thanks for your reply. I have been in summer years ago and know how beautiful it is then. But his birthday is in Jan and so snow and thermals it will have to be. We wpuld be wanting to see the museums and maybe the salt caves... if they are open in winter.

Hoping to stay for 4 or 5 nights on this visit. Any must do things to do while we are there??

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: january in salzburg??

Salt mines

Hallstatt. Closed

Hallein. If same as this year will not open until late January

Altaussee. Closed

Edited: 24 June 2014, 11:45
Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,863 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: january in salzburg??

The salt mine in Berchtesgaden is open year round and is a short bus ride from Salzburg. About 40 minutes.We have done this one and really enjoyed it. I think you will be fine in winter. Most of our trips to Austria and Germany have been in the winter for our Anniversary and we have always found things to do.

http://www.salzzeitreise.de/en/meta/home.html

7. Re: january in salzburg??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2015, 05:16