We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grossglockner Rd.

Myrtle Beach, SC
Level Contributor
25 posts
582 reviews
Save Topic
Grossglockner Rd.

After we leave Salzburg, where is best to enter GL road- and where would be best to spend the night as we will be going west after touring it.

Thank you!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grossglockner Rd.

Entrance coming from Salzburg is at Bruck a/d Grossglocknerstrasse.

But for going west it actually would probably be easier to end at the Northside of the GGstrasse, which is in Bruck. Going west from the southside of the GGstrasse is not so easy. Very mountainous, no main roads.

But as Salzburg is also at the Northside of the GGstrasse that would be unlogical for you

Where, going-west, is your next stop?

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grossglockner Rd.

Drive south from Salzburg on the A10 autobahn. Lovely scenery along the way. Leave the A10 at Bischofshofen and join the 311 signposted to Zell am See. Keep on this road until you are almost at Zell am See and you'll see the village of Bruck. Here you turn south off the 311 onto the 107 which is the Grossglockner road. It will be very well signposted as you approach it so you can't go wrong.

You don't say when you're traveling so bear in mind that the road closes at the end of October.

Myrtle Beach, SC
Level Contributor
25 posts
582 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grossglockner Rd.

Many thanks- We will be there Sept. 19.

Any suggestions where we should stay after we do the road trip?

Tks so much!

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grossglockner Rd.

When you get up to the Grossglockner itself I'd take a trip into the exquisite village of Heiligenblut. You might even decide to stay over there:

http://www.heiligenblut.at/en/

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,946 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grossglockner Rd.

heiligenblut is a good stop over, but if you intend going both ways on your initial trip, you could stay in zell am see.

by the way, if you do go down to heiligenblut, you will also have to pay a toll on your return journey. in my opinion you should just go to the glacier view and then reverse your journey. it will save you a bit.

Myrtle Beach, SC
Level Contributor
25 posts
582 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grossglockner Rd.

well that is where I am puzzled most. We have rented a car and want to see Innsbruck, Tirol, Kitzbuhel

and even plan to drive over to St. Anton.

We have two days in Hallstatt and two in Salzburg before GL Rd.adventure.

Should I change this around at all?

Your suggestions please.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,946 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grossglockner Rd.

i think that you should go to google earth and plan your proposed route and you seem to be taking an odd sort of routing. incidentally, tirol is not a place to visit, it is a province.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grossglockner Rd.

My suggestion would be to skip St.Anton (the greatest skiresort in winter, but not so very interesting in summer/autumn).

This would leave some extra days for the following:

Drive the GGroad, coming from Salzburg only once, in southern direction, and have an overnight on the southside. This could be Heiligenblut, but also venturing into Italian South Tyrol is easy from here (we will be doing this coming August, staying in Sexten im Pustertal (Sesto Val Pusteria in Italian). Or any other nearby village like famous Cortina d'Ampezzo or Val Gardena. This is the Italian Dolomites, which have a completely different character compared with the Northern Alps. More rugged mountains. Other food as well, and in general better weather. Speaking German though (mostly)

From here you might drive towards Brunico and back North returning via Brennerpass into Innsbruck, from where Kitzbuhel is within in easy reach.

Edited: 03 July 2014, 23:07
9. Re: Grossglockner Rd.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 06:17