We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day-trip to Hallstatt or stay

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Day-trip to Hallstatt or stay

We will be driving throughout Austria in October and are wondering if we should stay three nights in Salzburg and day trip to Hallstatt or stay a night in Hallstatt; not sure what all there is to do in Hallstatt. (We will be continuing on to Vienna after these few days)

The Original Sound of Music Tour in...
2,059 reviews
from US$52.20*
Day Trip to Salzburg from Vienna
83 reviews
from US$148.00*
Salzburg Small Group Day Tour from...
1,358 reviews
from US$58.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Mozart Dinner Concert Salzburg
504 reviews
from US$78.40*
Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day-trip to Hallstatt or stay

What to do

www.hallstatt.net/information/tourist-office/

Just be aware late October some attractions start to shut down.

Why not stay in Bad Ischl. Go Salzburg - Bad Ischl - Vienna.

Easy access to the Salzkammergut including Hallstatt from Bad Ischl.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
20,885 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day-trip to Hallstatt or stay

hallstatt has a number of attractions in the immediate area. apart from the village , which is small, there is the funicular ride to the salt mine and viewing platform over the village. then there is the ice cave with cable car about 4 miles down the road to obertraun. second stage takes you higher to the five fingers viewing platform. stunning views. you can also have a go on the ferry too.

and whilst in that area, you should certainly visit gosau and its lake, gausausee.

oops, i see that you are going in october, so you will need to check when salt mine and ice caves close for the winter.. if they are closed on your dates, then you could visit hallstatt and gosau on your way to vienna.

Toronto
Level Contributor
186 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day-trip to Hallstatt or stay

My husband and I did a day trip to Hallstatt from Salzburg instead of packing up our things, and then having to unpack again at another hotel. If you get on the road early enough, you'll have plenty of time to see the city, have a lovely lunch, head over to Obertraun, do the cable car and see the five fingers. We did this all in one day and had plenty of time, and didn't feel rushed at all.

We really liked setting up a home base in Salzburg, and planning day trips from there.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day-trip to Hallstatt or stay

Hallstatt is a village.

5. Re: Day-trip to Hallstatt or stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 23:16