We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 hours in Salzburg enough? Best itinerary and travel?

London, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
24 hours in Salzburg enough? Best itinerary and travel?

Sorry to add to the many similar questions on this forum, but I'd really appreciate some opinions on how I should plan my trip.

I'm currently in Vienna and have Friday-Sunday free, with a flight on Sunday at 20:05 from VIE. I am planning to visit Salzburg by train - to see the old city, and the famous mountains and lakes. Not keen on hiking, looking more for a leisurely visit. I was thinking mountains and lakes on the Saturday and Salzburg city centre on Sunday.

I've already booked Saturday night's hotel in the city centre. I am wondering if I should book Friday night as well, i.e. is ~24 hours enough to explore Salzburg as above? I've noticed the lakes are quite far from Salzburg, as is Untersberg, and I don't want to spend too much time travelling, but I don't want to miss anything spectacular.

-Would it be better for me to stay in Salzburg Friday night as well so I can spare time to travel a bit further?

-Or, would it be better to take a day trip from Vienna to said lakes on Friday and spend the weekend in Salzburg only?

-If 24 hours is enough, can anyone recommend some closer-by lakes (e.g. 20 min bus ride from city centre)?

- Which mountains are best to visit if you don't want to hike? I'm planning on Kapuzinerberg, Monchsberg, are there others worth travelling to considering the lack of time?

Lastly, what's the quickest way to get from Salzburg to the Vienna airport? I have read train to Westbahnhof then bus to the airport, but the bus doesn't depart frequently and I worry about traffic. I would book a taxi but the traffic to the airport has been horrendous this past month (taking 4x longer than before). Not all taxi drivers know the side routes to get you there on time (or speak english if you want to communicate this to them) I want to waste any time, but don't want to miss the flight either ;)

Best Seller
The Original Sound of Music Tour in...
2,055 reviews
from US$52.30*
Day Trip to Salzburg from Vienna
83 reviews
from US$148.30*
Salzburg Small Group Day Tour from...
1,356 reviews
from US$58.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Mozart Dinner Concert Salzburg
501 reviews
from US$78.50*
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 24 hours in Salzburg enough? Best itinerary and travel?

Give yourself the extra day if you have the time to spare. That way you could take the 150 bus as far as St Gilgen, take a ferry across to St Wolfgang and return to Salzburg late afternoon. The evening and the following day would give you time to explore the old town before going back to Vienna. ---Lots of supeb mountain/lakes scenery and time in Salzburg.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
20,826 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 24 hours in Salzburg enough? Best itinerary and travel?

st gilgen is only 40 mins by bus from salzburg. ferry between st gilgen and st wolfgang takes 45 mins. st gilgen has a gondola lift to the top of the zwolferhorn. st wolfgang has a cog railway to top of schafberg. so the lakes area gives you lakes AND mountains.

i would give youself an extra day in salzburg.

London, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 24 hours in Salzburg enough? Best itinerary and travel?

Thanks for your replies. If you had to pick one, would it be St Gilgen or St Wolfgang?

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 24 hours in Salzburg enough? Best itinerary and travel?

I would say St Gilgen--shorter journey from Salzburg but ready access by ferry to St Wolfgang. Same spectacular scenery-

Edited: 16 July 2014, 23:31
Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 24 hours in Salzburg enough? Best itinerary and travel?

In St Gilgen you can take the cable car (gondola) to the top of the Zwolferhorn mountain to see magnificent views over the lake area. But I'd definitely take the boat to St Wolfgang. The journey is lovely and St Wolfgang is a larger, more interesting town than St Gilgen.

Vienna
Level Contributor
3,079 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 24 hours in Salzburg enough? Best itinerary and travel?

I definitely recommend travelling to Salzburg already on Friday and to spend the night there.

This way you can leave Salzburg in the early morning to get to St. Gilgen or St. Woflgang.

If you go to St. Wolfgang anyway, then go up the Schafberg with the cog railway instead of taking the cable car from St. Gilgen on Zwölferhorn. The views from Zwölferhorn are nice but the ones from Schafberg are truely spectacular!! You have a view on 7 surrounding lakes from there.

Directly in Salzburg, Mönchsberg provides nice views and you can combine it with a visit of the fortress, which I strongly recommend.

Apart from the town center, also the Palace Hellbrunn and its gardens are worth a visit (take a tour to see the famous trick fountains!)

Best regards, Christina

London, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 24 hours in Salzburg enough? Best itinerary and travel?

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll try to add St Gilgen and St Wolfgang to my trip!

London, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 24 hours in Salzburg enough? Best itinerary and travel?

I went up the Ubtersberg mountain today by cable car - is it still worth going up the Schafsberg? Wondering if I have time to go to St Wolfgang.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
20,826 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 24 hours in Salzburg enough? Best itinerary and travel?

in my opinion, the schafberg is far better than the untersberg. and you have the experience of travelling on a cog railway. and the views are stunning.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 24 hours in Salzburg enough? Best itinerary and travel?

If the weather is good the views from the Schafberg are spectacular. Try and get an early train as it's very busy July/August.