We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich VS Salzburg 1 or two weeks in late December?

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
197 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Munich VS Salzburg 1 or two weeks in late December?

Planning a stay in either Salzburg or Munich from the 14'th to maybe the 29 of December. When we were in Munich last time, years ago, we loved the Christmas markets! I'm told Salzburg is even better.

Which would you chose?

Seeing we will be there for a week or more, would you rent an apartment for a week or stay in a hotel? Old downtown??

We may go to Rome since the Wife has never been. Would you do Rome first and then fly to Salzburg or Munich? Or would you take them in first! If we like it that much we may cancel Rome around Christmas.

How hard is it to go via train from Salzburg or Munich to Rome? Cheaper than flying? Cost and time?

Dan Mascheck

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
197 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Munich VS Salzburg 1 or two weeks in late December?

Oh forgot, we do like seeing many of the cathedral, and palaces and any museums worthwhile. We are not into skiing, but love seeing the beautiful vistas in Bavaria and loved the lake district in Austria!

We do plan on seeing the Christmas markets! We were amazed at the one we saw in Munich years ago. Just trying to get ideas to plot on a map of things to do and a list of things that are a must see.

We stopped in Salzburg the last trip, but saw little of it due to all the hotels were full due to a convention. Never got back, so this will really be a first for us!

Seems the consensus is to go to Salzburg vs Munich. Most seem to really like the Salzburg Christmas markets over Munich's!

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Munich VS Salzburg 1 or two weeks in late December?

From Munich only one change if you get the right train and the scenery is very good. But at least 9 hours.

Or over night and 12 hours.

But couple of airlines fly Munich to Rome and only 1.5 hours flying time.

Edited: 22 July 2014, 10:48
Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
197 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Munich VS Salzburg 1 or two weeks in late December?

After looking at several guide books, I'm getting to the point of rethinking my trip to Salzburg. Seems there is about three to four days worth of sites to see in Salzburg including the Christmas Market which is our main focus.

Many sites we were interested in are closed in December, so now I'm wondering whether we should move to Munich or Vienna for the remainder of time we are there. We have been to both, but I noticed there are several places of interest we missed and they are open in December.

Ideas??

Dan

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Munich VS Salzburg 1 or two weeks in late December?

Would be interested to know what you have found that is closed.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
197 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Munich VS Salzburg 1 or two weeks in late December?

I wanted to go to Hallstat and go through the salt mine and the bone chapel and they are both closed. one palace or building in Salzburg was closed in December. Forget which one! The Christmas Market is our main focus, but I wonder if we need more than 3 days in Salzburg to see what we want.

Your thoughts?

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Munich VS Salzburg 1 or two weeks in late December?

"Many sites we were interested in are closed in December,"

Understand now you were referring to the area around Salzburg not just Salzburg.

More than 3 days? Sorry still not sure what you are planning to do apart from the markets.

You could spend a day visiting all the markets in Salzburg. You can easily spend a day on Lake Wolfgang visiting the markets. (Don't go on a Thursday no boats) You would need to go Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

This salt mine is open

www.salzwelten.at/en/hallein/opening-times/

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Munich VS Salzburg 1 or two weeks in late December?

This may be useful

…railtours.at/kombitickets-kulturgenuss/aust…

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
197 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Munich VS Salzburg 1 or two weeks in late December?

Thank you!

19. Re: Munich VS Salzburg 1 or two weeks in late December?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2015, 05:15