We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying train ticket for return trip

Maryland
Level Contributor
430 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Buying train ticket for return trip

If the weather cooperates we are planning on doing a day trip to Hallstatt from Salzburg in September. I have decided to try to take the 7:12am train to Obertraun and then probably the 6:32pm train from Hallstatt to Salzburg. Can I buy both tickets at the train station in Salzburg so I don't need to worry about getting a ticket in Hallstatt? When I look at prices online it says that the standard ticket is not restricted to a specific train so I was thinking if we decided to leave on an earlier train it wouldn't be a problem. Is that correct? Would I be able to type in a different departure station on the ticket machines to buy the second ticket?

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying train ticket for return trip

Hi

You can buy on the day in Salzburg and you can purchase a return ticket. It will be valid for all trains.

Also check out this recent topic and the use of a so called combi ticket. (If you are planning to visit the Salt Mine)

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g190427-i9621-k7…

…railtours.at/combitickets-summerdreams/aust…

Also have you seen this?

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g190441-c194495/Sal…

Edited: 27 August 2014, 17:06
Maryland
Level Contributor
430 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying train ticket for return trip

Yes, you actually helped me sort out train/bus times in another post so my schedule is all figured out. :) Glad to hear I can just buy both tickets in Salzburg then. I think that will make the return trip easier since I won't be rushed to buy a ticket and worrying about missing the last train!

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying train ticket for return trip

Just buy a return ticket when you are in Salzburg.

If you want to use a ticket machine it's simple.

Click on the link below and open up the downloads section. You will see a PDF file in English on how to use the machines.

You will see there is an option to buy a return ticket.

Also you can buy in advance but of course it's only valid for any train on the date you selected.

oebb.at/en/…index.jsp

Maryland
Level Contributor
430 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying train ticket for return trip

Looks pretty simple. Thanks for the pdf. I will do as you suggested and just buy a return ticket.

5. Re: Buying train ticket for return trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2015, 06:16