We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking is rife in Austria

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Smoking is rife in Austria

Just shows how quickly we Brits have adjusted to no smoking in public places.Had a week in St Johann first week in September but had days out in Worgl,Ellmau and Zell am See.Absence of smoking controls in most restaurants and bars and locals and German visitors do like their smokes even between courses as well as at the end of their meal.No smoking in rooms of our hotel but could not stay out on the balcony because of the other guests who were out on their adjacent balconies puffing away.Some were British so it's not just a Germanic thing.

I found the paradox confusing.In many ways the Austrians are very green and healthy yet they smoke.(I used to smoke 20 a day so I am poacher turned gamekeeper).

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
21,280 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking is rife in Austria

For many years I was a "part-time" smoker what means that I only smoked when going out or having a good time with friends. 6 months ago I stoppped smoking completely and now have become extremely sensitive to smoke. At bars and night clubs, where I used to smoke, I now sometimes have to suffer on the bad air.

I have always been against (excessive) smoking in the public but now I frankly would ban it everywhere (where people gather). Unfortunately I have started to drink more in order to compensate the smoking. :-)

Smoking here is still a problem and now I agree with the criticism often published here. Believe me, smoking gets more and more unpopular and in a few years the situation in Austria will be better.

Edited: 11 September 2011, 08:07
Ipanema, Rio de...
Level Contributor
278 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoking is rife in Austria

In a recent visit to Austria, Hungary and Prague I was negatively impressed with all the smoking in public places, especially is restaurants. Here in Brazil we do not have that for a few years and I thought Buenos Aires was the last place on earth where I could still eyewitness(or nosewitness, lol) such a thing! I used to smoke too but nowadays it seems a nasty bad habit for me, and I feel stupid for having done that to myself for more than ten years. I hope authorities in central europe evolves enough to ban it from public spaces, so that in my next visit to Austrian Alps next year I can eat my schnitzel without all that horrible smoke!

Birmingham
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoking is rife in Austria

We always check with the hotel before we make a booking. Many now have no-smoking dining rooms at least!

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoking is rife in Austria

I offer the following -

Non smoking laws changed last year -

Just in Vienna

hundreds of cafes, restaurants - totasl non smoking- others must have non smoking areas

look here for a partial listing

www.nichtraucherlokale.net

from expensive places like Coburg , Hollman Salon to chain cafes like Aida, Starbucks

even the new Gerstner Cafe in P and C

Well known cafes like Landtmann, Mozart , Griensteidl

chain eateries such as Nordsee , Radatz , Akakiko

many hotels with non smoking rooms , non smoking floors and dining areas too.

Only takes a little looking and non smoking places abound

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,677 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoking is rife in Austria

Funny isn't it how everybody accepted it was the norm to smoke in bars/cafes the world over never griping or moaning and then suddenly when their own country puts in the law people do nothing but "gripe" about other countries. It is the "Holier than thou" attitude. Ok it is more pleasant without it and it isn't good for your health but you have to accept many things are different when you go to other countries. Smoking is one of them.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,719 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoking is rife in Austria

>It is the "Holier than thou" attitude.

"My country enforced non-smoking policies 2 years earlier than yours, therefore we are the height of cvilization and you are uncultured savages!"

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smoking is rife in Austria

I can understand. You really notice the difference after having been in the UK/Ireland for a while and then coming back to Austria/Czech Republic/wherever and you realise how much more pleasant it is without smoke - even if you are sitting an a designated non-smoking area, and even if there is excellent ventilation, you can still smell it.

Saying that, though, the odour of other people, which has taken over from the stench of fags in those countries where public smoking is outlawed, isn't much better sometimes, but at least it doesn't stick around in your clothes :)

Ipanema, Rio de...
Level Contributor
278 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smoking is rife in Austria

I indeed think banning smoking is one step to more civillized sharing of public spaces, since smoke is inavasive and forces the non smokers to breathe bad air. But I don´t mean by that that my country, Brazil, is more civillized than Austria(because in my opinion that would be a really stupid statement, considering what I think civilization means!).

And Vertical, I guess when I was visting, last March, those laws were already there, what made the situation in Vienna be a little less "suffocating" than in other cites(in Salzburg, for example, I went to a lovely restaurant with amazing food, but the crowd of smoking college students created an incredible fog that has almost prevented me from being able to swallow my food! lol). However, concerning restaurants and other closed spaces, I really think that creating smoking areas doesn´t solve the problem. I don´t have any complaints about the hotels, though. The non smoking floors were ok.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smoking is rife in Austria

The laws regarding smoking I mentioned above are federal lawa and thus effective throughout the country

Perhaps in Salzburg you were in a smoking portion of the restaurant .

The referenced laws becsme effective about 1 year ago following a period of implementation.

For information

smoking is banned in all offices - an exception if all employees agree to permit smoking .

Smoking banned on trains , stations etc.

For restaurants. bars. those under 50 M2 have the option to be completely smoking or non smoking .

Larger places must provide separate smoking and non smoking areas or if they wish become all non smoking .

Very easy to determine as green and red signage will indicate the nature of the rooms or restaurants

A large selection of non smoking restaurants are available in most all places so no reason for anyone to complain about smoke as they have a distinct choice of their own as to their dining desires.

Hotels have implemented non smoking areas , or even floors .

Some resort hotels I regularly visit have opted to have non smoking lounges/bar areas too.

Thus if anyone objects to smoke - they can find enough selection of places without it and those places slowly increase .

Ipanema, Rio de...
Level Contributor
278 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Smoking is rife in Austria

Ok, all that is a good sign! I´ll hopefully have the oportunity to experience those improvements next year. And I´d like to take the opportunity to say that all this smoke issue didn´t stop me from enjoying Austria very much! It´s a wonderful country, and it was great experience to visit!