We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Austria Walking Trip - Trins

ross on wye England
Level Contributor
12 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Austria Walking Trip - Trins

Hi

I am going with a group of friends in September 2014. We are looking for interesting Walks about 8/12 kms. Do any of the Ski lifts operate in September? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks Robert

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Austria Walking Trip - Trins

The lifts and mountain railways that open for summer (walking season) close again during September.When exactly in September varies considerably from region to region even valley to valley.But early Sept should be OK.check on a particular resort's website before committing.Although my days of walking holidays in Tirol are over I think the availability of the lifts is an added dimension for planning interesting walks of relatively short duration such as you are contemplating.They often render unnecessary the boring climbs out of the valleys before the more interesting stuff starts. Also when the lifts are operating invariably mountain huts for refreshments are open so convenient.

The SkiWelt area is good for well mapped and signposted numbered walks although there are no lifts on the Wilder Kaiser side of the valley.I used to base in Ellmau and there is the mountain railway and lifts for gaining height quickly on the other side. But really there is a massive choice of towns in which to base,

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Austria Walking Trip - Trins

We love the autumn walking in the Salzkammergut region. There are three lifts in the area which remain open through to the end of Oct or thereabouts. Zwoflerhorn in St Gilgen, Gosaukamm at Gosau and the Dachstein lift at Obertraun. All open up great mountain areas with wonderful views and huts.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Austria Walking Trip - Trins

Forgot to mention that we use the Rother Wanderfurer guide to walking the Salzkammergut. Only available in German but very good as it gives the opening times/days of the huts along the routes. Good for improving your German even though in Austria all routes are well marked.

Oak Park, Illinois
Level Contributor
251 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Austria Walking Trip - Trins

I've just checked my favorite walking area. The Patscherkofel Bahn in the Inn Valley above Innsbruck is open through Oct 5 and then open on weekends in October. From the top are numerous and spectacular long walks down to various charming villages with Alms (cafes) along the way. I stay in the village of Igls at the foot of the cable car. From Igls are also numerous local buses taking you to other walking areas and there is public transportation to the Stubai Glacier area. If you are interested, check tripadvisor for some Igls small hotels and apartment hotels.( My favorite apartment hotel is Haus Gothensitz in its own private park with incredible mountain views.)

Vienna
Level Contributor
2,816 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Austria Walking Trip - Trins

Depending on where you intend to fly to, there are many possibilties in September for walking.

The lifts in the Grossarltal, Salzburg, are open until 28th of September daily, They have many and lovely alms.

The Maiskogel Lift in Zell am See, Salzburg is open until medio October.

If you would like to go to the Salzkammergut Area, the Zwölferhorn in St. Gilgen (Wolfgangsee) is also open until October.

Near Innsbruck I would recommend Igls, Seefeld or the Karwendel-Achensee area which are all open until October or November.

Kind regards_Chrissy

6. Re: Austria Walking Trip - Trins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 05:21