We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip From Innsbruck-Bregenz or Trento

Sydney
Level Contributor
263 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip From Innsbruck-Bregenz or Trento

Hello from Sydney everyone ...

I've allowed several days in Innsbruck for my trip in Sept and will dedicate one day to day trip - thinking Bregenz and Lake Constance or Trento in Italy. Has anyone been to both and give some advice. I loved Lucerne and Lugarno in Switzerland when I went last Sept, so that's why I'm thinking Bregenz (ie. being on the lake). On the other hand, people keep telling me how lovely Trento is. Thoughts??

Thank you!!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
21,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip From Innsbruck-Bregenz or Trento

If you wanna enjoy the flair of a lake then go to Bregenz. Moreover, there are two famous islands in the lake, namely Mainau and Lindau, whose visit can/must be combined with a great vessel ride:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainau_Island (Mainau)

http://web20.icserver3.de/index.php?sid=1027 (Lindau)

Sydney
Level Contributor
263 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip From Innsbruck-Bregenz or Trento

Thanks very much, Mikey. Funny since posting this note one of my German colleagues told me of his visit to Mainau when he was a kid. He loved it and said he had such happy memories of this island that was like "a piece of the Mediterranean". The gardens look lovely on your weblinks. Always great to learn of new places. Thanks again!

Sydney
Level Contributor
10 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip From Innsbruck-Bregenz or Trento

Hi Yasmine

I am planning a trip to Innsbruck and Bregenz this year. Did you choose Bregenz and was it a goood choice ? Any accomodation recommendations ?

Louise

Sydney
Level Contributor
263 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip From Innsbruck-Bregenz or Trento

Gruess Gott Louise!

My holiday route took me from Interlaken, St Mortiz to Innsbruck. Once I got to Innsbruck, I just LOVED it so much I decided to stay there for the full 4 days.

There is SO much to see - I stayed right in the Old Town at Hotel Weisses Kreuz - great little B&B and I could see the Goldenes Dachl (Roof) right outside my window. The 24 hour Innsbruck visitors card was great value including your transport and entry to all tourist attractions - The Schloss Ambras was great and not to be missed, Hofburg complex, the ski jump, the Alpine Zoo, all the great churches, then the Goldenes Dachl museum which had a great movie on the history of Innsbruck etc. The shopping was also very good albeit a bit pricey.

I thought Innsbruck was just a little ski town (yeah, dumb Aussie I know) but it is quite a large city with an airport with so many great attractions that I didnt want to go elsewhere. (Besides the train trip from St Moritz to Innsbruck took so long and I had to change trains 3 times that I was a little tired of train travel. Dont forget to make train reservations in Austria as the west to east express train line basically running Bregenz - Innsbruck - Salzburg - Vienna was full full full at the peak travel times when most people want to depart ie. around 8-9am. I got stuck without a seat in the push and shove of 100 others. I didnt make that mistake again from Innsbruck to Salzburg ha ha ha - and try and get a seat in the small 6 seater compartment section - it is hell on earth sitting in the open train carriage with 30 school boys under 10 years old all running about screaming and yelling - or better still book first class!)

I had 2 lovely dinners at the "Goldenes Dachl Restaurant" right next to the famous attraction - the pork roast with dumplings/ham was to die for. I had been all around Germany, Switzerland and Austria and never had ham dumplings!! So good!! And there is a gelato shop just a couple of doors down from there that had the best gelato since Florence 2007 at EUR1.10 a scoop what a bargain in pricey Austria!

I did spend one day going over the border to Garmisch Partenkirch for a day trip (this was always in my plans). That was a fantastic day out and I just loved all the beautiful painted buildings and the quaint old town there (Partenkirche side). That was definitely worth taking time out for!

You will just LOVE INNSBRUCK ... Tyrol is wonderful. My only regret was that I should have reduced my stay in Salzburg and stayed longer in Tyrol - I just love that whole alpine wonderland. Salzburg was good, but can be covered in 2 days.

Please feel free to ask me any questions via the private email message service on Trip Advisor, I kept all my tickets and brochures etc and wrote a diary to keep all the details handy at home.

Kind regards,

Yasmine

Macau
Level Contributor
296 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip From Innsbruck-Bregenz or Trento

Hi, Yasmine,

I am also planning to visit Tirol for some days there but base in Hall in Tirol. Your day trip to Garmisch Partenkirch sounds great. I am interested to explore the area too.

Could you elaborate a bit more on your transport mode, if you don't mind - the itinerary, and whether was it a hectic day? I am travelling with my wife and daughter of 15 years old.

Your another note to reserve seat for the train is very helpful as other postings give me an idea that reservation is not that necessary. Since I shall travel for 2 weeks in Austria in August that I shall definitely take your advice.

Kan

Sydney
Level Contributor
263 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip From Innsbruck-Bregenz or Trento

Hi Kan,

DEFINITELY GO TO GARM.-PART. It was fantastic! All those gorgeous charming old painted houses on the Partenkirch side was worth it. The Garmisch side is newer and very hip. No wonder my grandfather from Berlin spent almost each ski season down there and that was in the 1930's!! It was hip even back then!

I will go home tonight and check my travel diary and give you some more travel details tomorrow.

Sydney
Level Contributor
263 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip From Innsbruck-Bregenz or Trento

Hello Kan,

Here is an excerpt from my diary page -

Mon 22 Sept 2008

Weather - cloudy, sun breaking thru later in the day, followed by more cloud, 8-12 degrees celcius (but seemed much warmer in the sun!)

Another fantastic day! I'm writing this as I sit in the Goldenes Dachl Restaurant again (Innsbruck) with my Pinot Noir, Schweinebraten (pork roast), weisskraut mit kummel (cabbage with caraway seeds) and brot knoedel mit speck (those yum yum bread dumplings with speck/ham) it was SO good yesterday I came again! (Total price EUR20.80). (Plus another fantastic gelato 3 doors down for EUR1.10).

Left Innsbruck Hbf train station at 8.38am, via Innsbruck West, Innsbruck Hotting, leading up into the mountains north towards Garmisch-Partenkirchen (the train actually goes all the way thru to Munich Hbf). I passed the towns of Allerheiligenhoffe 8.47am, Kranebitten 8.51am which had a fantastic view over all of Innsbruck and surrounds. Then Hochzirl, Leithen 9.06, Reith, and Seefeld In Tirol at 9.14am - Seefeld is the most beautiful resort town - what great tranquility - this would be a lovely place to stay for a couple of days and go hiking. Then Giessenbach, Scharnitz 9.29am (all still in Austria). Then you see the sign "Welcome to Deutschland" at 9.30am!

At this point, I just remembered that I left my passport in my room! Heck! I will be so screwed if the border patrol joins the train like Italy/Swiss border. Thank goodness, no guards and I continue on. Mittenwald 9.37 - very cute rural town, seems mostly residential rather than a tourist town - cute dark wood/white rendered buildings. Then Klais 9.47am (cute tiny town) 933m elevation - highest IC train station! Arrived Garmisch-Partnekirchen at 10.02am. The famous peak is the Zugspitze - but from the tourist notice board it seems to take approx 2 hours to get to the peak so I decided not to do that since I've just been in St Moritz at Piz Nair, Corvatsch and Diavolezza - so I am kinda' peaked-out!

I checked the return times back to Innsbruck - approx every 2 hours - 12.04pm 2.04pm and 4.04pm. Great! So I just started walking and as it turns out I was walking towards the Partenkirchen Old Town (Altstadt) side of the train station. I found my way up Bahnhofstr. into Ludwigstr. - the centre of the Altstadt with all the intricately painted facades WOW I was completely blown away by how beautiful the Altstadt is - like stepping back in time! I quickly found a phone box to ring Mum in Sydney - "Guess where I am Mum?" (famous words said over the phone to parents across the world!!) "I'm standing where Opi (grandfather) used to spend most of his youth ha ha ha now I know why he LOVED it here so much" (he came from quite a wealthy family and had notoriously expensive taste ha ha ha)

I've come to realise that I just love all the "Aldstadts" in each city - Munich, Bern, Zurich, Innsbruck, Thun (near Interlaken) - all have amazing Aldstadt sections. That's what I come to Europe for! I would definitely return to Partenkirchen!

I did also walk over to the Garmisch side of the train station which has more recently been renovated and is much larger with its modern Kongresshalle. The shops are newer, fancier and more elegant to cater for the upmarket tourists and conference guests.

On the way back to the train, I circled back over to Partenkirchen & I picked up a brochure from a hotel "Partenkirchener Hof" approx EUR80 a night single. It looked so gorgeous and inviting at Bahnhofstr 15 and only a short walk from the train station. Other little B&B's on the Partenkirchen side that looked so cute where

Hotel Gasthaus Drei Mohren (perhaps 2 star?)

Post Hotel, Ludwigstr. (perhaps 3 star)

Gasthof Rassen (very cute perhaps 3 star)

(but I am tough on ratings and always prefer B&Bs to chain hotels)

What a fantastic day, walking around, taking photos and enjoying the most beautiful resort towns with towering alps for 360 degrees around you. It is certainly much larger than St Moritz so you cant compare the 2. I did quite a bit of shopping for gorgeous Bavarian tablecloths and napery (?) lovely handstitched lace work which makes great light-weight gifts for people back home.

I walked back to the train station and took the train at 4.04pm. Top day out and so relaxing!

Macau
Level Contributor
296 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip From Innsbruck-Bregenz or Trento

Hello, Yasmine,

Your description of the day is so lively. It is very interesting to know that the trip is at ease and without any rush, and the transportation is so convenient. I will definitely consider squeezing a day for that.

Kan

9. Re: Day Trip From Innsbruck-Bregenz or Trento

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2010, 08:20