We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from Munich to Innsbruck

Ontario, Canada
9 posts
Save Topic
train from Munich to Innsbruck

hello, does anyone know how far the train station is from the Munich (MUC) airport? What are some of the ways to get to the station, shuttle? bus? cab? walk? I was looking for the best ways to get to Innsbruck and assumed the train would be the best.

Any information is appreciated. thanks.

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train from Munich to Innsbruck

Hi! The most convenient and fast way from Munich Airport to Innsbruck is definately by train.

Go to

www.bahn.de

--> Internat. Guests

--> Timetable - Tickets

Enter

TO: Innsbruck

The S-Bahn-train starts directly under the airport terminal. You have to change trains at Munich East Station (München Ostbahnhof) which is very convenient as this is a much smaller station than Munich main railway station (München Hauptbahnhof). You can get your tickets at the airport or online, and they will be sent to you.

Ontario, Canada
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: train from Munich to Innsbruck

thanks very much for the quick and informative post!

great post!

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train from Munich to Innsbruck

No problem, you're welcome!

Just for information: 2nd class will be fine, especially for this relatively short journey.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,989 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train from Munich to Innsbruck

If you are ready to spend some more time on the route - there are two rail lines between Munich and Innsbruck. One of them goes through Kufstein, it takes an fast EC train about 2 hours, but is far less scenic. Another one goes through Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Mittenwald and has only local trains on it. The journey takes about 3 hours, but is probably cheaper. It is definitely much more scenic. If you want to make sure that you use a certain one of those routes, just enter "Kufstein" or "Mittenwald" into the "Via" box on the Deutsche Bahn schedule planner.

Ontario, Canada
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: train from Munich to Innsbruck

thanks for the info. I will check this out.

Watford,Herts
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train from Munich to Innsbruck

Just found your info, am interested in scenic train from Munich airport to Innsbruck but finding web site difficult to negotiate - it seems to be telling me I have to make 4 changes on this route?and will not let me see the return schedule for the Sunday. Help

The Emerald Isle
Level Contributor
21 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train from Munich to Innsbruck

I'm also looking for a train from Innsbruck to Munich but bahn.de won't give prices or times! Any other sites?

One I looked at was €150 pp return. Is this expensive for for this journey?

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,989 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train from Munich to Innsbruck

I really don´t understand what you are doing! Bahn.de gives me all the times and prices, except if you are looking at 2010 or some such. Of course you can try www.oebb.at as well.

Also PLEASE read the rest of the thread

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,989 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train from Munich to Innsbruck

I see 29 € one way if you take the scenic route (via Mittenwald). If you are not alone you can use Bavaria-Ticket from Mittenwald on and save even more.

Where do you have 150 € from??? Run away from that site as fast as you can!

The Emerald Isle
Level Contributor
21 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train from Munich to Innsbruck

Thanks. I wanted the scenic route anyway.