We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Innsbruck or Zell Am See???

Townsville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Innsbruck or Zell Am See???

Hi .... finalising our last few week in Europe.

Coming from Cesky Krumlov, and trying to work out where to stay for 3 nights, before heading into Germany.

Have been to beautiful Salzburg.

After dramatic beauty - which is the prettiest, gorg scenery etc., and a great day trip outside of town? Innsbruck or Zell Am See?

cheers.

austria
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Innsbruck or Zell Am See???

A factor in this decision is the time of year that you plan this visit.

Zell can be very nice in middle summer and also winter.

But if you intensd a visit in the off season such as Middle October- Middle December and early spring it can be very quiet and much less interesting.

The Grossglockner area , a nice excursion can be closed to traffic in winter as another seasonal example.

Innsbruck , a large city can offer more year round. Easy train connections for day trips into Italy .. Some good sightseeing in the city may take a day with interesting Churches, museums , a Palace and a small old town area. The old area town of Hall is close by and reached by transport in a few minutes..

Innsbruck can be convenient to your onward journey depending on the area of germany you plan to visit.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Innsbruck or Zell Am See???

Zell is about 1 1/2hours south of Salzburg

Innsbruck is about 2 hours west of Salzburg.

Good point above regarding time of visit as Zell can be very quiet off season.

If you plan for summer- Zell has many things to do and good sights nearby . That would be my choice winter too.

Off season ties I would pick Innsbruck

Townsville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Innsbruck or Zell Am See???

Thank you for replies.

I will be there mid to late November, so a quieter time, but that is fine as like it a bit quieter.

Are they both as beautiful as each other?

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Innsbruck or Zell Am See???

Zell am See being on a lake and with mountains too has the better atmosphere in my opinon.

You may see some snow on the higher elevations at either place.

But you may find some things are closed during this slower period of the year.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Innsbruck or Zell Am See???

Ahh .... OK, Zell it has, many thanks.

Will have 3 nights there, then probably to Garmisch-Partenkirchen for 2, then onto Munich for 2. Very exciting!!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Innsbruck or Zell Am See???

just chanced upon this - i am going to this area in early April. what will be the recommendation - innsbruck or zell am see? will i be able to see greens and snow cap mountain? trying to avoid a season where snow is melting and everywhere is slushy..thanks

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,322 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Innsbruck or Zell Am See???

If you are in Zell am See you can also go to the Kitzsteinhorn Glacier at Kaprun.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Innsbruck or Zell Am See???

Zell am See is a large, but charming resort; Innsbruck is a major Austrian city. After having spent some time in Salzburg, Innsbruck is probably a disappointment. In Zell, if you want to splurge (and it is open in November), the Grand Hotel is the place to stay.

Will you be driving? If so, the quickest way from Cesky Krumlow is taking the road along the Moldau south and east to the Austrian border, then heading south to Linz. Along the way, Freistadt is a nice place to have lunch or afternoon coffee and pastry. From Linz, take the autobahn A-1 west to the German A-8 (Salzburg - Munich autobahn). Don't forget to get the toll vignette at the Austrian border with the Czech Republic; some of the road to Linz is an Austrian autobahn. Past Salzburg, take the German A-8 as far as the Siegsdorf exit and head south on the B-306 (Deutsche Alpenstrasse) to Schneizlreuth. There turn right and pick up the road to Lofer; in Lofer turn left to Saalfelden and Zell am See. This is a very scenic trip and the quickest way to go.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Innsbruck or Zell Am See???

Thanks for the information. I have decided to visit zell am see...am so glad that i read this thread. Also will be driving to Hallstatt...I should have sufficient time for another day trip. Any other recommendation which will be good for April?

Townsville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Innsbruck or Zell Am See???

Now back in Australia (filling in time at Brisbane airport before heading home)

Stayed at Zell Am See last week for 3 nights and was wonderful, such a bful place!! Picturesque ++++++

1 day I did catch the cable car up to Kitzsteinhorn - spectacular!!

Another day I walked around the Lake, 12 km, but very doable

Very glad I stayed there.

Stayed at Hotel Andrea - pretty central and close to station, basic and price OK.

Thanks all for help : )