We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Innsbruck from Munich or Salzburg?

Level Contributor
646 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Innsbruck from Munich or Salzburg?

Would it be better (cheaper and less travel time) for me to do a dayatrip to Innsbruck from Munich or from Salzburgh.

I will be spending some time in both Munich and Salzburg and doing daytrips from them.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Innsbruck from Munich or Salzburg?

Definitely better from Munich in all respects.

Level Contributor
646 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Innsbruck from Munich or Salzburg?

Thank you for your reply, WirralScouse. Would you mind elaborating a little as to why it would be better to go from Munich to Innsbruck?

Is it a direct train vs a change of trains from Salzburg to Innsbruck?

I don't think a Bayern ticket could be used from Munich to Innsbruck - right?

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
23,533 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Innsbruck from Munich or Salzburg?

From both, Innsbruck and Salzburg, you find direct trains to Innsbruck. As far as I remember, the travel time ex Salzburg is 2 hours. The Bayern Ticket is a product of Deutsche Bahn and the Bavarian Transportation Body and is therefore only valid within the network of Deutsche Bahn and other Bavrian means of transport. Salzburg is an exception as it is the border station between Germany and Austria, hence it is also a valid station in the network of DB to which the Bavaria Ticket is allowed (but not beyond!). Between Bavaria and Tyrol State the Bavaria Ticket is only valid to Kufstein and Scharnitz but not beyond!

www.bahn.de

www.oebb.at

Edited: 06 July 2010, 21:55
wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Innsbruck from Munich or Salzburg?

There are direct trains to Innsbruck from both Salzburg and Innsbruck no intermediate changes necessary.Trains from Munich are more frequent.Journey times on the express trains about the same.Bayern pass covers you from Munich to Mittenwald which is very close to Innsbruck at the Germany/Austria border.Onward ticket cost from Mittenwald to Innsbruck via Seefeld (the most picturesque part of that rail journey!) without a pass is only a few euros.The rail journey en route Salzburg-Innsbruck between Zell am See and Kitzbuhel is also picturesque.My wife and I travelled it 2 weeks ago.It was very hot indeed that day and the airconditioning on the train was not functioning.But that's another story.

If you don't have a pass ask about special price tickets for travel after the morning rush hour and before the evening.The kind ticket clerk at Zell alerted us that we would save 12 euros each just by waiting a further 25 minutes for the next but one train.We did.

Level Contributor
646 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Innsbruck from Munich or Salzburg?

Thank you both for your very useful advice and links. I appreciate it.

If there are direct trains from both Munich and Salzburg to Innsbruck is it better to do the daytrip from Munich because it will cost me less by using the Bayern ticket for most of the journey (till Mittenwald) and because there are more frequent trains? If those are the reasons, they are good ones.

Do I buy the Bayern pass and the ticket from Mittenwald to Innsbruck online? I guess I could buy the Bayern pass from the ticket counter in Munich but how would I get the ticket for the Austrian lap of the trip? Do I have to get off the train at Mittenwald to do this?

I would probably use the regional trains if there was a big price difference unless I can get one of those special tickets for 29 euros that can be used on the fast trains.

To get those special tickets, I believe I have to book in advance. The booking site appears to be in German only. Can you please let me know what I need to do to get the special price or the Bayern ticket?

Using a Bayern ticket, I can get on and off at different stations covered by the Bayern ticket and see more that one place on my daytrip? If so, would it be worthwhile to stop at Garmisch en route from Munich to Innsbruck?

As well, when going to Salzburg from Munch (to spend a few days there sightseeing), using the Bayern ticket, is it worthwhile to stop at Kufstein en route and do some sightsseeing?

I know that I have asked a lot of questions and I hope I have not tried your patience. This will be my first visit to that part of the world, and since I am a woman travelling solo, I like to have as much information as possible and appreciate advice from knowledgeable and kind people like you.

Edited: 07 July 2010, 01:01
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,533 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Innsbruck from Munich or Salzburg?

If doing it ex Munich, I would definitely go via Mittenwald as it is just more scenic. Train times and their frequency can be queried on the website I stated above. Here is a shortcut to the itinerary planer site: http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.exe/e

The Bavaria Ticket (or Bayern Ticket) can easily purchased from ticket vending machines. As far as I remember, counter purchases are subject to a surcharge of 2-3€ because a human being needs to use a PC. The Bavaria Ticket is day pass, so you can get on and off as often as you like. I do not know the exact fare from Munich to Innsbruck, but a special fare of 29€ would not be a good deal. The price difference to a regular ticket, which is flexible, would be marginal then. For traveling on the Austrian side you can contemplate the Austrian sister of the Bavaria Ticket, namely the "EInfach-Raus-Ticket" which requries a minimum of two travelers. It is also possible to buy a regular supplement ticket at the station in Munich. Online purchases are an option too although I usually do not recommend it as there is no real benefit and refunds restricted. But in your case it is different as you cross the border and do not have time to get it.

Kufstein is lot located on the Munich-Rosenheim-Salzburg railroad, it is on the Munich-Rosenheim-Innsbruck track.

Level Contributor
646 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Innsbruck from Munich or Salzburg?

Thank you, Mikey. That helps a lot.

I have a couple more questions related to the Bayern ticket that I hope you don't mind my asking - do I have to buy the Bayern day pass on the day I am going to use it or can I buy it in advance and then stamp it on the day I use it?

The second question is - since it is a day pass there are no restrictions on destination or direction, I guess. I can use it in Bavaria as I choose for a day (starting at 9:00 am on weekdays)?

The next question is can I use the Bayern ticket on the buses in the cities I visit, e.g..Innsbruck (daytrip from Munich)? As well, if I need to take public transport (bus or subway) in Munich to get to the train station to depart for my daytrip to Innsbruck, can I use the Bayern ticket for public transport in Munich to get to the station?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,533 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Innsbruck from Munich or Salzburg?

The Bavaria Ticket is not restricted in terms of availability, just get it prior to departure. As it is a day pass, the day of use (which you can choose/alter but normally it will be the same day) is printed on it. It may be that the train attendant additonally stamps it. The Bavaria Ticket is valid on local and regional trains as well as buses. As far as I remember it is also valid on Munich's subway system. To clarify that either visit www.bahn.de or ask someone in the Bavaria Forum. As already mentioned above, the validity of the Bavaria Ticket ends at the state (and train network) border. It is not valid on any means of transport in Austria. Therefore it can't be used on buses in Innsbruck. The Austrian Einfach-Raus-Ticket is only good on local and regional trains.

Level Contributor
646 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Innsbruck from Munich or Salzburg?

Thanks a lot, Mikey. You have provided me with a lot of very useful information..

Edited: 07 July 2010, 22:46
10. Re: Innsbruck from Munich or Salzburg?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2011, 08:42