We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oebb train info

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
Oebb train info

Hi

Finally worked out the train connection I want to get us to Ponte Gardena/Waidbruck in September from Innsbruck. I am hesitant to buy online at present as I can't seem to find what that green three leaf stands for beside the reduced price. I see flexibility when I get to the buying on line but then I can't find just what this flexibility means. Does that mean we may be changed to another date or can I safely book this online for that date of travel at the reduced rate, as we do require a fixed date to get into our accommodation in Ortisei, Val Gardena, Italy. I know that I can also hop an OEBB to Bressanone/Brixen and then an Italian regionale for 15 mins and also BD BAHN from Germany come through but this a first class and we woul dlike to experience it, with the EC to Bressanone and a regional to Pont.G. where we will pick up the bus. So am I safe to book this for a MUST travel that day, booking.

I only wish that the Trenitalia and DB BAHN and the bus connection all had timetables up and running for the year as OEBB has...Good on them!

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,021 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oebb train info

Flexibility means that you can change your ticket (subject to sosme conditions). It does not mean that the train operator will cancel a train and make you change to another one.

But take the time to read the T&C for full information.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oebb train info

Thanks Sydney nick

I was a bit hesitant booking this but now I know, it's fine. Will read the terms and conditions also.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,330 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oebb train info

The green cloverleaf are the special fares and are fixed service ticket (i.e. no flexibility if you miss the service or wish to change the ticket)

Please don't get confused with trains

The EC trains from Innsbruck into Italy are actually the Deutsche Bahn DB trains from Munich to Verona. So although OEBB allow you to advance purchase this far ahead and the Germans only 92 days theoretically if the Germans ceased the service the service from Austria wouldn't exist. Tis Munich-Verona service has been going for years.

Also depending on the service you choose there may be no need to get the train to Ponte Gardena/Waidbruck from Bressanone/Brixen.

The 350 bus to Val Gardena/Ortisei also stops at Bressanone/Brixen. Only the Winter timetables are currently available however;

e.g.

EC 85

Depart Innsbruck 11:27

Arrive Bressanone 12:55

The 350 bus

Departs Bressanone at 13:32

Arrive Val Gardena/Wolkenstein 14:46

You can use www.sii.bz.it/en for your local transport solutions around the Dolomites. It will also show (local) train connections.

Use "Wolkenstein" instead of Val Gardena in the search boxes

Pointless trying to purchase advance tickets for italian regional trains as the price doesn't change for advance purchase. Also only possible to see the prices up to 7 days in advance.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oebb train info

Thanks Giftzwerg

I have already booked two trains thinking they were OEBB.Thanks for that info. Pity they don't also have the booking online ticket in English as I had to google translate it to see what it entailed. Anyway I have booked one earlier than your eg. and it makes it a lot longer to get to Ortisei as we'd have a 2hr 25mins wait for the bus in Bressanone. Whereas, it is 30 min wait & 14 min train to P. Gardena/Waidbruck and a 18 min wait there for the bus at 28 mins drive.I am however tempted maybe to stopover in Bressanone and do lunch, as I believe it is a lovely town. I believe that we can leave our luggage at the train station...will discuss this with the co traveller. Could also decide on the day.

One question. I did put up the train to P.Gardena from Bressanone same day we require in a couple of days to see the price and the response from trenitalia ... travel solution contains one or more segments that belong to inhibited zones...any idea what that means. I know I can book it on arrival but I thought we could now book regionale on line, if we wanted to. Not that I do, just seeing if it would be possible later on, if I wanted too. Probably as cheap as chips and better to pay on the day...but curious as to what this means.

I travelled all around Italy by regionale some years back and only bought the tickets when I required them in Italy, no problem but my co traveller wants to go by a few fast trains 1st class and hence I prebooked the two crossing the countries to get into Italy. I believe I have to take the printed tickets to the counter with ID to get proof of purchase in case of border crossing. Is that the case?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,208 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oebb train info

All the booking sites are also in English - usually is is a matter of clicking on 'English' or sometimes there is a flag. As this is Europe this is usually the Union flag.

Examples:

http://www.oebb.at/en/index.jsp

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml

If you are travelling from Austria then to all intents and purposes and without getting into complicated details the trains will be run by OEBB when on Austrian rails, but the carriages might be German, but that doesn't really matter. As Giftzwerg says, this can be booked from the German or the Austrian site.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oebb train info

Thanks for the info GCEK. Yes I have used the english version on all, but when the ticket comes up to print in its Adobe? format it is actually in German and no option to change to English. Hence the translation was needed to see the conditions. I see this is also a problem for others on other Austrian forums but I got onto

translate google

which can translate a whole document in one go.

Cheers

7. Re: Oebb train info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2013, 10:21