We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Innsbruck or Salzburg

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Innsbruck or Salzburg

Hey Guys I know this question has been answered but I would like to know clearly as I am going to Munich for the Oktoberfest from the September 25th to September 28th 2013 and would like to go to a scenic beautiful place before travelling to Vienna for 2 nights and would like to spend atleast 1 or 2 nights in either Innsbruck or Salzburg so please suggest as I would be having a long trip so I would like to go to a beautiful place where I can relax around scenic beauty and What would be the best way to get to the one you suggest from Munich.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Innsbruck or Salzburg

If you are going Munich - Vienna then the logical choice is Salzburg.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Innsbruck or Salzburg

but why would you say that because its on the way but if innsbruck is more beautiful I wouldnt mind making it a bit out of the way .... Plz Suggest?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,212 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Innsbruck or Salzburg

No it isn't more beautiful in the generally accepted sense, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all ...

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,235 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Innsbruck or Salzburg

Innsbruck is surrounded by scenic mountains but the city itself is not as arcitecturally beautiful/cultural as Salzburg. If you would like to rest in a scenic and peaceful place, then my suggestion would be Salzburg (because it is a arcitectural and cultural highlight) plus the nearby "Salzkammergut District" where you find clear lakes, cozy towns and a great mountain scenery. These places would also be (moreless) on the direct way from Munich to Vienna.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Innsbruck or Salzburg

Hi,

The alpine scenery around Innsbruck is more impressive than around Salzburg. That said, I'd highly recommend the Berchtesgaden area, about 30 min. from Salzburg. Beautiful alpine scenery. Spend 2 nights and visit Salzburg from here. Our personal favorite spot is Ramsau bei Berchtesgaden with a stay at the Pension Mayringerlehen. We stayed here in '06, '07 and '09. It's a 10 min. bus ride from Berchtesgaden and a 3 min. walk from the Ramsau bus stop.

www.ramsau.de

www.mayringerlehen.de

We have 3 "pages" of photo's at:

www.worldisround.com/home/pja1/index.html

Paul

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,461 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Innsbruck or Salzburg

Berchtesgaden - go see the beautiful, scenic Konigsee lake & the adjacent Jennerbahn mountain top cable car.

At Konigsee take the boat to the last stop (Salatalm) and walk 20 minutes to Obersee for more fantastic views. After you are done with the lake, walk across the parkplatz (parking lot) to catch the Jennerbahn for beautiful mountaintop views. To get there, take Bus #841 to the Konigsee Parkplatz, 9 minutes travel time. The Konigssee boat was 14 Euro & the Jennerbahn was 21 Euro.

You can easily get to/from Salzburg on Bus #840, 50 minutes travel time.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
18,704 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Innsbruck or Salzburg

simple answer......Salzburg. more history, more culture, bigger (but compact). but overnight in the salzkammergut area (st gilgen, fuschl, st wolfgang, mondsee)

8. Re: Innsbruck or Salzburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2014, 05:16