We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Munich to Lienz Austra

Ashton, Idaho
Level Contributor
64 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Munich to Lienz Austra

I am planning to rent a car and drive from Munich Train station down to Lienz with one night stop along the way. Would like to take more scenic drive route with small town atmosphere. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would plan to spend two days traveling. I also wondered about a German car office rental drop close to Innsbruck so I can leave the car in same country upon completion of trip. Could also use some advice on possible side trips from Lienz as I will be there for a few days. Thank you

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,506 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Munich to Lienz Austra

Why don't you rent from a rental station in Austria? How about Innsbruck? You could easily get there by train from Munich. Be aware that you need a toll sticker to use Austrian expressways (= roads with the national abbreviation A and S). A German rental car is less likely to be equipped with, the fine for not having one is 120€. Enforcement personnel carries out checks on a regular basis, moreover, there are toll sticker detection cameras! An Austrian rental car surely has this sticker. More info on the sticker here: www.asfinag.at

There are quite a few route options in order to get to Lienz. The following places coud be considered to be included:

> Zillertal Valley

> Gerlos Scenic Road (www.gerlosstrasse.at)

> Krimml Waterfalls

> Großglockner High Alpine Road (www.grossglockner.at)

> Zell am See Area

> Town of Kitzbühel

Ashton, Idaho
Level Contributor
64 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Munich to Lienz Austra

Thank you for your response. Your suggested route looks great. I think renting in Innsbruck may be best. I was planning to drive from Munich through Fussen, Mittenwald and Garmisch (likely overnight in Mittenwald) but I realize my schedule is tight (5 days with 2-3 in LIenz), so the train may be a better option as I don't have much time for side trips. More than the issue with a vignette, is getting the car back to Germany in order to forgo the international drop off fee. After some exploring I recently found there is a Hertz car rental in LIenz, so I may look at getting there and renting. I just wish I had a little more time as I would love to fit in Vienna but that will need to be another trip.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,506 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Munich to Lienz Austra

I don't get this! Where do you want to go after Lienz?

Ashton, Idaho
Level Contributor
64 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Munich to Lienz Austra

Yes, confusing. Lienz for several days is final destination. I will be meeting someone there on the last day who has a car and will be heading to Italy. I was only joking about Vienna.

5. Re: Driving from Munich to Lienz Austra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2015, 05:16