We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beginner Skiing Around Innsbruck

Mumbai (Bombay...
11 posts
Save Topic
Beginner Skiing Around Innsbruck

Hi All,

Two of us will be in Innsbruck for a couple of days in mid-Sept and would love to trying skiing for the first time. Never skated/even been on snow before so looking forward to some safe but enjoyable adventurous experience. Recommendations for a 5-6hr/day trip from Innsbruck? Slightly on a tight budget though so handy tips on discounted passes etc also appreciated =)

Cheers

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,682 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beginner Skiing Around Innsbruck

skiing in september? the only possible place where you might be able to do this is on the stubai glacier.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
841 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beginner Skiing Around Innsbruck

Mid September is not peak ski season by a long way, your best (only) bet is a glacier, but these aren't the most beginner friendly terrain on the whole. Closest to Innsbruck would be Stubai, although I'm not sure if it is open for skiing then, you'd have to check out the Stubai website (will also give you info on lift ticket prices). Alternatively a little further away is the Hintertux glacier in the Ziller Valley which is open for skiing year round.

As September is still pretty much summer, you would have to be there early before the snow turns to slush later in the day, and you'll find that the lifts may well close just after lunch at about 1 or 2pm, although depending on conditions in mid sept they may open until about 3. It's not a cheap day trip by any means by time you have paid for transport to/from, lift pass, ski hire and instruction. When I went boarding on the Hintertux a couple of summers ago the lift pass alone was approaching €40 for a day.

Mumbai (Bombay...
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beginner Skiing Around Innsbruck

Thanks so much! yes i wasn't able to find month specific information.. i guess skiing parked for another year then! Does it still make sense to go Seefeld for Any snow activities? I really wanted to go to a snow area, never been before :)

I was thinking of planning one day as: 1) walk around old town/golden roof from early morning 2) Hall of Tyrol Salt Mines visit 3) Svarovski Crystal World 4) Laternenwandern at night before returing to hotel in Innsbruck main. Not sure if this is too packed or doable..

And I can do Nordkettenbahnen Cable car and Hungerburg Funicular the next day?

Thanks for the prompt responses!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,682 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beginner Skiing Around Innsbruck

it would be safe to say that there is absolutely no chance of snow in seefeld in september. that is unless miracles really do happen! but even if there was, there would be no facilities open. it is usually end of november or into december, before any snow activities are opened.

Mumbai (Bombay...
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beginner Skiing Around Innsbruck

allright, so i take it as no snow at all anwhere ard tyrol in sept.. would the Nordkettenbahnen Cable car and Hungerburg Funicular be still worth it in Sept?

what would you guys reccomend for 2d1N in and ard innbruck

Cheers

Edited: 20 June 2014, 13:29
Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
841 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beginner Skiing Around Innsbruck

Only place you are likely to see snow would be the aforementioned glaciers, although it does depend on the weather. A number of years ago I was working in Austria for the summer and there was snow the last weekend of August, granted it didn't last long, but there was enough for me to build a small snowman!

Still worth going up though IMO as the mountains are just as stunning in the summer as they are when covered with snow in the winter.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beginner Skiing Around Innsbruck

Just found out Hintertux Glaicer has snow and skiing all year round.. Feasible to do day trip from Innsbruck

Washington DC...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Beginner Skiing Around Innsbruck

Does anyone have recommendations for beginner skiing good for a day trip near Innsbruck in late December/early January?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,682 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beginner Skiing Around Innsbruck

seefeld!

10. Re: Beginner Skiing Around Innsbruck

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2015, 06:16