We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General info on Kitzbuhel and surrounds....

Which Kitzbuhel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
newcastle/england
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
General info on Kitzbuhel and surrounds....

I am going to Kitzbuhel for one week with the family on 03 June this year, and can anyone answer these questions for me ?

1. What in general is the weather going to be like ?

2. Is it easy and inexpensive to get to nearby towns and villages by rail or bus ? Can anyone suggest places nice to visit ?

3. Is there a nice swimming pool/spa in the town we can use..im staying in a pension

Thankyou !

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General info on Kitzbuhel and surrounds....

The weather is changeable. It could be sunny and warm,it could be rain and drab.Unpredictable is the word.It is early season.That's how it is in the mountainous areas.

Buses are not over-expensive but train travel is expensive.Yours is a difficult question.Most people who stay outside Kitz want to get there. If you are staying there why do you want to explore outside of the town?

The public transport system is great. Rail station is a bit of a trek from the centre.It is a nice direct run to Zell am See.

Can't help on the swimming pool question.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General info on Kitzbuhel and surrounds....

As has been said the weather in the mountains is predictable at best, and you should always take some an umbrella or some sort of wet weather clothing, but at the same time I have been in June when the temperatures are in the 80's

I also agree that the bus services are both reliable, plentiful and cheap where the train service is more expensive

Where I do disagree is about you wanting to visit other towns and villages, as I love to do that when I visit the area. Locally there is St Johann or Westendorf. There is also kirchberg close by which you can also reach by cable car and a shortish walk. By train Zell am Zee is easily reached, from which you can also go to Saalbach and Hinterglemm

Tirol
Level Contributor
189 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General info on Kitzbuhel and surrounds....

I think you should get the "Kitzbüheler Alpen Summer Card" which gives you unlimited excess to all 31 lifts in the area and gives you big discounts (25 -50%) on 31 things you want to see. It costs 49 Euros for seven days (34,50 Euros for 3 days), kids are half price. For extra 2 Euros a day you have unlimited public bus transport in the area! You cann´t get around cheaper. For more information see kitzalps.com/en/kitzbueheler-alpen-summer.ht…

Pools: Kitzbühel has a beautiful lake called Schwarzsee with two beautiful lidos. The Aquarena is a big indoor swimming area and very close to the centre. Special tip: Try swimming at the Gieringer Weiher, a hidden lake with very little people! More information: www.kitzalps.com/en/summer-activities.html

Simferopol
Level Contributor
336 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: General info on Kitzbuhel and surrounds....

Hi, MotherHulda, i am thinking of doing a daytrip from salzburg to zell am see and kitzbuhel with the purpose of finding a lido to swim in a natural lake. Is a day enough for this 2towns and which lake of them u would recommend to swim in(prefer a stunning backdrop)? Heard bout schwarzsee and Gieringer Weiher, is the latter easy to get to from kitzbuhel train station? What should be brought for swimming? thanks

new zealand
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: General info on Kitzbuhel and surrounds....

1. as other posters have said the weather is unpredictable. be prepared i.e bring summer and winter clothes

2. buses and trains are excellent. Visit one or more of the following: Krimml Waterfalls, Rattenberg & Innsbruck, Salzburg, the highest mountain Grossglockner.

And also Zell Am See which is beautiful and not far away. For something a bit different try to get to zell am See on Tuesday on an old fashioned train called "Gisella bahn". The return from Zell am see is by coach over the mouuntains via Pass Thurn, a completely different and more scenic route.

I'm not 100% sure if the trains runs in early june but it's worth checking when you get there.

3. there is a nice indoor pool with spa called Aquarena as someone mentioned here

...and just to assist the Ukrainian person R0ng

who tried to hijack your post.

If you want want to visit both Kitzbuhel and Zell am see on a day trip from Salzburg it can be done because both towns are quite small. Not sure you'll have much time to go for a swimm though but if you insist then go for a swimm when in Zell am see. The public lido is very close to the town centre.

Swimming in Schwartzsee, nr Kitzbuhel is nothing to rave about and the water could be quite cold.

Simferopol
Level Contributor
336 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: General info on Kitzbuhel and surrounds....

Thanks Deli for your reply. I have few questions here...regarding the lido which u said is near to town center, how to get to there from zell am see train station and does the station has luggage locker? Is access to the lido free of charge? I am coming in mid August, how is the weather and crowd there and also food? I have checked and jotted down the schedule at OBB for august month, is there a possibility that the schedule will be altered? thanks

Simferopol
Level Contributor
336 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: General info on Kitzbuhel and surrounds....

Thanks Deli. I think i will only do Zell am See without Kitzbhel. I have a few quetsions here...regarding the lido u said which is near town center, does it free of charge and how to get to there from the train station? Is there luggage storage at the zell am see station? I am coming in mid August, wonder how will the weather, crowd in lake and food(pricey) be? ALso i have jotted down the regional train schedule at OBB for the august month, is there possibility that the schedule will be altered? thanks

new zealand
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: General info on Kitzbuhel and surrounds....

just to reply to the Ukrainian poster

The weather in August is usually nice and quite warm or even hot but there is no guarantee it will be like that. Zell am See is at 730m above the sea level and subject to temperamental Alpine climate. In mountainous areas like these temperatures can vary enormously during the week. It's the luck of the draw I guess. The water temperature can get up to about 24C

There are luggage at the station and the lido is just a short 10 minute stroll along the lake just past the Grand Hotel. Alternatively just stroll through the lovely, historic pedestrianized town centre with its pavement cafes and stylish shops.

Access to the Lido is not free but you'll find all sorts or facilities even a nude sunbathing area.

You can find free sunbathing areas a little further down the lake just past the lido.

It could be a bit busy on a nice and sunny day.

Prices do not change in August, because Zell am see is an all year round resort. It's cheaper than Salzburg

I don't think the train time table changes dramatically in the summer

newcastle/england
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: General info on Kitzbuhel and surrounds....

Can anyone advise the opening hours and entry costs for Aquarena ?

Tirol
Level Contributor
189 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: General info on Kitzbuhel and surrounds....

The Aquarena is closed since the 19th of April and will open again on the 30th of May 2009 and is than open from 10am to 9 pm daily.

A regular single ticket costs € 9,70, with free Guest Card € 8,60. Children accompanied by at least one adult pay € 3,40

Have fun in Kitzbühel!

Mother Hulda