We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kitzbuhel hahnenkamm downhill race day 2013. Advice needed!

london
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Kitzbuhel hahnenkamm downhill race day 2013. Advice needed!

Was looking to go to Kitzbuhel in 2013.

Would love to do two weeks, but can't afford it. Have done some research already and it seems the best time to go is the week before the race, rather than the week after

I know I will miss the party after the race, but was hoping to catch some of the race before we fly out. Is this possible with all the traffic chaos? Hoping to get an evening flight to be able to do this.

Does anyone have experience of leaving on race day?

Any other tips for that week in Kitzbuhel would be greatly appreciated

P.S Rather than booking through a tour operator is there a hotel that I could book direct that would allow me to stay until the Sunday/ Monday after the race. Long shot, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks for your help

Tirol
Level Contributor
189 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kitzbuhel hahnenkamm downhill race day 2013. Advice needed!

About 50 - 70,000 fans come to the race every year. Kitzbuhel however manages this croweds in an incredible manner, there is (almost) no traffic chaos. So getting in an out of Kitzbühel should not be a big problem (may be on Saturday).

some tips: don´stay in Kitzbühel, stay north of it (Ellmau, Gonig, St. Johann). It´s cheaper, easier to get to and there an trains and busses every 15 minutes to Kitzbühel, also Friday an d Satruday night!

The races take playe from Thursday to Sunday. So if you book from Sunday til next Saturday (the usaual changing day) you will get good offers. Also if you book from Saturday before the race until Thursday (Official training on Tuesday, Wednesday is worth seeing!)

BW

Mh

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
99 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kitzbuhel hahnenkamm downhill race day 2013. Advice needed!

I arrived in Kitzbuhel on the Saturday of the Hahnenkamm race weekend a few years ago and found that our hotel had double booked many rooms. We were lucky and did eventually manage to get a room but others were not so lucky. One couple we spoke to had to sleep rough until the Monday. It seems that double booking by hotels in and around Kitzbuhel is common at the time of the Hahnenkamm race.

So, I would recommend either spending the week before the race in Kitzbuhel, so you can make sure you do actually have the room you booked, or do as MotherHulda suggests and stay in one of the other nearby towns. Staying until the Monday would be a good idea; you could try a web site like booking.com to search for any hotels that would take such a booking.

Edited: 03 March 2012, 10:37
london
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kitzbuhel hahnenkamm downhill race day 2013. Advice needed!

Thanks Farnborough am looking to book the week before

Llandovery, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kitzbuhel hahnenkamm downhill race day 2013. Advice needed!

does any company organise package tours to watch the hahnenkamm downhill race?

5. Re: Kitzbuhel hahnenkamm downhill race day 2013. Advice needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 November 2012, 20:05
6. Re: Kitzbuhel hahnenkamm downhill race day 2013. Advice needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 23:19