We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best spot for one day/night in Voralberg

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
87 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Best spot for one day/night in Voralberg

We (my husband and I and sons ages 12 and 15) are driving from Lucerne to Nuremberg and are looking for a place to spend the day/night someplace in between I'm hoping for a 3 3/12 hour drive in both directions, nothing much longer than that. We are in no rush and can meander and sight see; I am not looking for the most direct route from point a to b.

I am considering the area around Lake Constance, specifically Bregenz, Dornbirn, or smaller towns thereabouts. We miss the Bregenz festival by one day, as we are traveling Aug 19. Suggestions? My kids are pretty open to most activities - hiking, sightseeing, castles.

I have seen something about a cheese route too, which really interests me too. Any clue if these tours might be offered in English? I am brushing up on my German, but my family is clueless!

Thank you in advance.

6 replies to this topic
Vienna
Level Contributor
4,698 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best spot for one day/night in Voralberg

I would stop in Bregrenz - nice place at the lake. Check TA for local activities for kids.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best spot for one day/night in Voralberg

First of all, from my experience, drivig from the Vorarlberg to Nuernberg (Nuremberg) in 3 - 31/2 hours willbe tight. Even if you are staying in Lindau (my recommendation, staying at the Hotel Reutemann Seegarten at the harbor) it is still about 270km, all autobahn. The route would be Lindau on the A-96 (the Lindau - Munich autobahn) to where it intersects with the A-7 near Memmingen. Going north on the A-7 to the A-6 (Exit 110), and then on the A-6 east to Nuernberg. With kids, allowing for some stops, I think you will be averaging about 90-100km/h.

Now to your question about the Kaesestrasse (Cheese Road). I have been on it but my friend was driving so I wasn't paying much attention. I struck me as a marketing gimmick for a number of restaurants along the road that serve good meals, heavy on the cheese (for which that region is known). As I recall, this unnumbered, lesser route runs from outside of Bregenz northeast to Weiler im Allgaeu (Germany), and ends at the B-308 (Deutsche Alpenstrasse/German Alpine Highway) just 3km east of the turnoff to Lindenberg. The Kaesestrasse is not numbered, it is a minor road.

Lindenberg has a very nice hotel, more like a small chateu located at a lake, with opportunity for swimming (http://www.hotel-waldsee.de). To get onto the Lindau - Munich autobahn you would then have to drive about 15km, west, on the B-308. It ends at the autobahn A-96..

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
87 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best spot for one day/night in Voralberg

Thanks for the info. Sounds like we'll pass on the cheese trip.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best spot for one day/night in Voralberg

Agree with Treplow. You can spend your time much better than the Cheese places.

Edited: 03 May 2013, 14:43
Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
87 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best spot for one day/night in Voralberg

One more questiion - I found hotels that look good in Dornbirn (Pension Zum Löwen) and in Hochst (Die Linde). both locations are a little less expensive than the hotel I am looking at in Bregenz (Hotel Garni Bodensee). Is one location better than the other?

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best spot for one day/night in Voralberg

I can't tell you about these specific hotels, but Dornbirn offers an actual inner city (albeit a small one) with many shops, bars and restaurants. There are also a few cultural venues worthwhile visiting (e.g. a Nature museum called Inatura which is extremely popular with kids, a big Rolls Royce museum and some other stuff) and you can take a cable car to the mountain or do a canyon hike. Höchst on the other hand is a relatively small town that does not offer too much. However, everything is pretty close to each other. From Höchst you can reach the Lake of Constance in less than 10 minutes. You can go to some of the quieter parts of the lake where it's nice to swim or stroll through the nature reserve to watch water birds.

Reply to: Best spot for one day/night in Voralberg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Vorarlberg