We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viennese Ball - 2012

London, England
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Viennese Ball - 2012

Hi Vienna Experts,

My in-laws both have a big birthday coming up (turning 60) and have coincidently recently taken up dancing lessons. So we'd like to buy them tickets to a Viennese Ball in the 2012 season as a memorable birthday present.

They would need to go on a Friday or Saturday night due to work commitments, so the balls that I can find are:

The Confectioners' Ball - 13th Jan

The Flower Ball - 13th Jan

The Pharmacists Ball – 21st Jan

WKR Ball – 27th Jan

Medical Doctor's Ball – 28th Jan

IAEA Staff Association Ball – 4th Feb

Coffeehouse Owners Ball – 10th Feb

Johann Strauss Ball – 11th Feb

Hofburg Ball der Wiener Wirtschaft – 17th Feb

Bonbon Ball – 17th Feb

Lawyers Ball – 18th Feb

Which of these do you consider to be best?

Also do the tickets have to be for the main room of a ball to be worth going? i.e. to make it a memorable evening. If price was a limiting factor would it be better to go for a more expensive better table seat in a less expensive ball, or a big more expensive ball but a cheaper ticket?

Are there people of all ages at the balls or are they more aimed at a younger or older crowd?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Viennese Ball - 2012

Thisn is hard to offer a satisfactory answer as people like different thingsd.

my choices from the lidt above would be the IAEA Ball ( international Atomic Energy Commission ) or the Coffee Ownwers Ball ( Kaffeesieder Ball )

Both arte held in the finer venue of the Hofburg Palace in numerous rooms.

Music is purposely varied by room.

Example at the IAEA -

Festsaal - main ballroom - Traditional Vienna and big band type music.

Redoubtensaal - probably the 2nd largest room - music of the 40s

other rooms from disco, reggae and more -

Attendees are a varied group both by age and national origin-

Coffee Ball - similar situation but due to the nature of the sponsors - more locsl persons -

Both of these balls are in the Hofburg..

The Festsaal or main room is the best place by far for an initial attendee-

This where the major events of the evening occur- opening ceremonies , quadrille , other entertainment

I would rather spend more and have a better situation-

Lesser rooms are just that - away from the main portions of the night and many spend a long time there standing to enjoy things in the festsaal.

Atterndees vary by age from young students ( some get discounted tickets to some balls ) to those senior but loving a great evening.

Usually the dress codes are strictly enforced so dress according to the demands of the evening - tuxedo and formal gown and more.

Flower Ball ( Blumen Ball ) in the City Hall is Ok too.

Best Ball in Vienna in my opinion is the Philharmoniker Ball - this on a Thursday in 2012.

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Viennese Ball - 2012

Hi,

If your in-laws want some company at the Iaea ball, I am planning to celebrate my 50th birthday there and am getting a table. We have been having dancing lessons, my husband is working on the viennese waltz. We are inviting people to come and celebrate in Austria so it will be an international group with people from Australia, Denmark & the US at the table.

Edited: 30 June 2011, 03:15
London, England
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Viennese Ball - 2012

Thanks for the tips and info vertical.

Unfortunately after all that deliberating they can't make it to Vienna for a ball now, after all (Cinderella style).

My fella and I might go anyway though. The iaea one looks pretty interesting with lots of different styles of music. Will check out the Philharmoniker one too.

Thanks again

4. Re: Viennese Ball - 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2012, 10:25