We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places of interest at the far reaches of tram / U-Bahn lines

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Places of interest at the far reaches of tram / U-Bahn lines

I will be arriving in Vienna on Monday 26 November for an eight-night stay. Having been to Vienna on many previous occasions, I am keen to explore any areas of interest away from the centre.

I have read much about Grinzing and Nussdorf on this forum, the former of which I have previously visited. Both are on my list of things to do during my stay, including an evening at the restaurant 'Zum Renner', which seems to come highly recommended by many on TripAdvisor.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on far-reaching places in Vienna accessible by tram or U-Bahn? I am interested in walking through quaint streets with attractive architecture, any museums of particular interested which are not art galleries, and any recommended restaurants, particularly those serving Austrian cuisine.

NB: I am aware that the Christmas markets will be present during my stay. I am looking for alternatives to the festive offerings.

Thank you

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
21,952 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places of interest at the far reaches of tram / U-Bahn lines

How about places outside Vienna accessible by train?

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places of interest at the far reaches of tram / U-Bahn lines

That is also an option. I merely wonder whether the suburbs of Vienna offer anything of interest. I am keen to get to know the city itself. Any recommendations for excursions outside of Vienna are also welcome.

Vienna
Level Contributor
2,599 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Places of interest at the far reaches of tram / U-Bahn lines

I would recommend the Wotruba Church in 23th District, which has a very interesting architecture.

which could be also interesting is the Spittelau in 9th District, The thermal waste treatment plant at Spittelau uniquely combines three elements which, on the face of it, have very little in common: waste, energy and art by Hundertwasser. Also Tours are possible as far as I know, but please contact them at: georg.baresch@fernwaermewien.at

And ofcourse, the Vienna Woods is also worth visiting.

Enjoy!

Kind Regards_ Chrissy

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places of interest at the far reaches of tram / U-Bahn lines

Today is a hooly Church Holiday here .

This reminds mw of some places -

Zentralfriedhof - largest Cemetary/ Friedhof in Vienna. Burial place of many famous austrians , many composers.

Today , thousands visit here , decorate graves of those passed and reflect.

A visit anytime is most interesting

Streetcar #71 from Schwarzenbergplatz.

Friedhof is so large that it has 4 stops along this line. Tor#2 is perhaps most interesting.

You can also take UBahn line 3 from city center to the last stop Simmering and then transfer to # 71 to speed journey.

Streetcar# 60

A visit to area of Mauer.

This a former village to itself now part of Vienna

Not just the Wotruba Church of interesting architecture

www.georgenberg.at

But a place of many fine heurigers - a nice village square.

Few tourists as it is out of the way - nice village square- this village formerly a favorits of people of Vienna in summer as it was coller than the city.

Streetcar# 60 starts in Hietzing by the UBahn line #4 stop there.

Streetcar#31

to Stammersdorf - fine heurigers and older buildings mostly of vintners.

excelent wine and food - nice kellergasse too

keller= wine cellars

#31 begins at Schottenring - Ubahn lines 2 and 4 service this stop.

30 minute ride by streetcar perhaps.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places of interest at the far reaches of tram / U-Bahn lines

Thank you very much for your suggetions.

Mauer looks especially interesting.

6. Re: Places of interest at the far reaches of tram / U-Bahn lines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2013, 10:18