We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a Vienna Bier experience not to be missed??

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a Vienna Bier experience not to be missed??

We (my wife and I) will be coming to Vienna for the first time in September. We will be staying 4 days inside the ring at the Pension Suzanne next to the State Opera House.

We have a list of things to do like the Spanish Riding School and so forth. But what I’m looking for is “a Vienna Bier experience not to be missed”.

Is there such a thing in Vienna? A little back ground, this Germany-Austria trip (our 2nd one) is not really a “Bier Quest” even though it’s starting to look like it…haha. We will arrive in Munich and hop right on a train to Mittenwald for 2 days, train to Berchtesgaden for 2 days, train/boat to Hallstatt for 2 days, train to Vienna for 4 days, train to Munich for 5 days and Oktoberfest.

All of the other cities I have a list of bier halls, bier gartens or pubs to hit (but feel free to offer up your favorite and I’ll add it to the list). But I can’t really find much out about Vienna. I understand that maybe Vienna isn’t the same Biergarten culture as Munich or Bavaria, but there has to be something, someplace, some bier experience that shouldn’t be missed.

Sort of like the Hofbräuhaus in Munich. Sure it may not be the best bierhall in Munich, or the most authentic, and it’s full of tourists and not locals, but as a tourist can you say you’ve seen Munich if you haven’t had a mass there?

And I guess it doesn’t have to be a bierhall or a biergarten, it might be a restaurant or an area, or by a fountain. I’m just looking for the place that says “you haven’t had a bier in Vienna if you haven’t had one ………..”. Does this make sense? I have a picture from our 2010 trip of me drinking a bier at the Kehlsteinhaus next to the red marble fire place that Mussolini gave Hitler. What a day that was!

The only thing I’ve found so far in Vienna is this 1516 Brewing Company. Surely this isn’t the best Vienna has to offer.

I don’t really like wheat beir or white bier, but everything else is a go. I’m more of a Lager guy and less of an Ale guy, but I drink both.

PROST!

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a Vienna Bier experience not to be missed??

Oh sorry, I also have saved on my list;

“A place called the Stadtbraueri Schwarzenberg at Schellinggasse 14, 1010 Wien. Good food at reasonable prices (10-15 euros for a generous main course; 3-4 euros for a half liter of one of their home brewed beers)."

http://www.stadtbrauerei.at/

A recommendation from Zen, here on TA.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,374 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a Vienna Bier experience not to be missed??

Vienna isn't really known for its beer - for that you have to go north to the Czech Republic. Wine is the local tipple. However, there is a very good beer garden in the Prater http://www.schweizerhaus.at/1024/index.html which sells lashings of excellent Czech Budweiser (not the American fake!). NB it is only open from 15th March to 31 October.

If you really want excellent beer and have a day or two to spare, then Brno (€9 by bus www.studentagency.eu ) is home to one of the world's greatest beers tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g274714-d1… and the country's best pub - Blahovka. That is a proper beer experience - if you order anything else but beer and/or pork knuckle you run the risk of being unceremoniously kicked out (and quite right too :) )

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a Vienna Bier experience not to be missed??

There is good beer to be had in Vienna.

http://wieden-braeu.at/

http://www.fischerbraeu.at/

http://www.salmbraeu.com/

http://www.hansy-braeu.at/

http://goesser-bierklinik.at/eng/index.php

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a Vienna Bier experience not to be missed??

Vienna is a wine and coffee town, with many heurigen and cafes (respectively) to choose from. Beer, of course, is everywhere. The local varieties tend to be just ok. The breweries mentioned above in no way rival the great beer halls of Bavaria or the Czech Republic. Salm Braeu is atmospheric, Schweizerhaus is nice in summer. 1516, which you mention, is a restaurant which tends to cater to the homesick North American expat (it is the only restaurant I am aware of where you can get a Thanksgiving meal, for example).

For me, the best Vienna beer experience would be to order an Ottakringer beer along with a Käsekrainer from the Würstelstand located at Hoher Markt (First District).

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a Vienna Bier experience not to be missed??

Probably if you are looking for a "beer hall" experience, go to Salzburg.

http://www.augustinerbier.at/

Cherries...while I agree that Wien is more for coffee and especially good wine (which I love to enjoy when we visit). I still liked the beer at Hansy and Wiedenbrau. Either way, no real beer hall experience for sure. Ottakringer Helles at the Wurstel stand if you please (:-)

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a Vienna Bier experience not to be missed??

I second the Schweizerhaus by the Prater.

They have a huge beer garden in addition to indoor dining. Favorite of many to relax with the beer under the trees.

It is said that this establishment serves more beer in their limited opening than any other place in all of Austria.

Food is ok- many like the stelze -

Often missed is Zum Renner in Nussdorf , a easy ride from city center on the streetcar D- almost to their door at the next to last stop on this line.

www.zum-renner.at

They have a fine garden for drinking and dining - quiet away from the street -many trees and serve Kloster Andechs beer - from the light to double dark.

This place is well known for its fine kitchen and meat dishes

Best steak choice in Vienna in my opinion.

Several nice dining rooms inside too.

Combine fine appitizers - soups- main course and a choice of dessert - try a Malakoftorte just adds to the beer and atmosphere and enjoyment .

with the beer or with one or more of excelent wine choices - a fine experience.

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there a Vienna Bier experience not to be missed??

Thanks for the info on Brno GCEK. The Czech Republic is on our list of places to visit in the future, but I think we will not make it this time. If we make a day trip, we are thinking of Bratislava, but we aren’t sure yet.

Thanks for the list Operetteman. I’ve checked them out and added them to the list. The last one looks pretty interesting. The Gösser Bierklinik. It’s fairly close to our hotel. It also says its “The Gösser Bierklinik is the oldest still operated restaurant in Vienna (according to the State Office for Historical Monuments of Vienna). It seems to get good reviews here on TA (except for the smoking).

And I know what you mean about Salzburg. We loved it there. My “Salzburg Bier experience not to be missed” was at dusk sitting in the outdoor Biergarten at the Stieglkeller. It was fantastic!

Cherries, that is what I was afraid of about 1516 and definitely not what I’m looking for. But this “Ottakringer beer along with a Käsekrainer from the Würstelstand located at Hoher Markt (First District).” has my attention. I will have to see if I can find this location on Google Maps to get an idea of where it is. Although I don’t think I will have a Käsekrainer (cheesecake) with my beer. Maybe I will just have the beer and my wife can have the Käsekrainer haha.

Thanks vertical. I have noted that you also have a vote in for Schweizerhaus. And if we make it out to Nussdork we will try Zum Renner. It looked very nice by the photos.

Klosterneuburg...
Level Contributor
10 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there a Vienna Bier experience not to be missed??

you can go and eat traditional food at Schnitzelwirt

http://www.schnitzelwirt.co.at/

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there a Vienna Bier experience not to be missed??

Well after reading reviews here on TA about the Würstelstand at Hoher Marktit seems that "Käsekreiner" is a spicy sausage and cheese, not a cheesecake. That would make MUCH more sense. Dumb Google Translator. I think I will have one with my beer then!

PROST!

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there a Vienna Bier experience not to be missed??

Goesser Bierklinik...good beer, but do not expect the best of food there. It is okay, but I would definitely opt for Wiendenbrau or Hansy for both good food and beer.