We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hello!! :) Is Schlachthausgasse in a good district?

Roma
Level Contributor
17 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Hello!! :) Is Schlachthausgasse in a good district?

Hello everyone!

I'm about to leave for a 4 days journey in Vienna with some friends, and I've found a nice place near Schlachthausgasse (Fruethstrasse), is it a good place for three girls to stay?

We're planning to spend our dinners out and enjoy a bit of Vienna's nightlife, but we would like to avoid troules while coming back home.

Thank you very much!! :)

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,502 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hello!! :) Is Schlachthausgasse in a good district?

Not really! I would stay somewhere else closer to the center.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hello!! :) Is Schlachthausgasse in a good district?

Not an ideal location as it is far from center an there is nothing remotely interesting nearby.

Roma
Level Contributor
17 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hello!! :) Is Schlachthausgasse in a good district?

But it is dangerous? The dangerous said that the center is easily reachable with buses and metro.

Roma
Level Contributor
17 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hello!! :) Is Schlachthausgasse in a good district?

The owner, sorry. The owner said that the center is easily reachable with buses and metro.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,308 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hello!! :) Is Schlachthausgasse in a good district?

Owners don't always tell the truth you know. There are better areas.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hello!! :) Is Schlachthausgasse in a good district?

Well, having stayed out in Floridsdorf on a few occasions, so I can speak to being away from the Center. I understand that many experts will tell you your area is well out of the central area and they are very correct. Norman, Cherries...we actually liked it out there where we stayed, though it was a 15-20 min S-Bahn ride into center. Our landlady was great and the neighborhood was not unsafe...is there really an unsafe area in Vienna? Okay Praterstern is not the most wonderful. (:-) Although I will always go over there to Gasthaus Hansy. We now stay over on Obere Augartenstrasse 72 when we come to visit in Apartments Augarten.

All that being said, if you've got a good deal and don't mind the extra time to actually get to the main areas of interest, go for it. In the end it is only a place you come back to and sleep.

Edited: 09 October 2013, 02:59
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hello!! :) Is Schlachthausgasse in a good district?

I never said it was unsafe or dangerous. It is totally safe as is basically all of Vienna. I actually live close to this area and my parents stayed very near to your proposed placed when they were here last (because it is close to me), so I know it well. Yes, the subway is close, the trams are close, etc. The area, however, is completely devoid of charm and good food. That said, if you don't mind a 20-25 minute journey to get to the sights and good places to eat, then maybe this is the place for you.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,308 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hello!! :) Is Schlachthausgasse in a good district?

Agree with Cherries, but with a bit more research I'm sure you could find a more interesting area.

And when we were researching an apartment to stay in last year I was amazed how many landlords described their places as being in "central Vienna" when they were actually out in the sticks!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,502 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hello!! :) Is Schlachthausgasse in a good district?

I know this area very well as I worked there for some time and because of the fact that I often use the subway station there. Schlachthausgasse itself is not particularly nice, safety isn't a problem there though (as in almost all areas of Vienna). I am also one of those who say that it is not a must to stay right in the center. If you are close to a subway line that takes you to and from the center, then nothing to object. But the area mentioned just isn't overly nice why I would re-think your decision to stay there.

10. Re: Hello!! :) Is Schlachthausgasse in a good district?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2014, 05:19