We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing in Salzburg

Quezon City...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Skiing in Salzburg

Hi guys!

I know that I've posted a question before regarding skiing near Vienna, and I think expert Mikey_Vienna did suggest to me to go to Stuhleck as that was only an hour away by car.

But now that I'm finding it difficult to look for accommodation, since almost all Semmering hotel reviews on Trip Advisor have really low ratings, I'm wondering, is SALZBURG a good place to ski in?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,523 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing in Salzburg

Salzburg itself has no skiing. you would need to travel a bit to get some skiing. but you can access dozens of ski resorts from Salzburg, all depending on type of skiing you want. from the airport, there are many shuttle buses to skiing areas.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing in Salzburg

The city of Salzburg is not a skiing-destination, but its province (in german: Bundesland), the 'Salzburgerland', has many great skiresorts.

To name a few:

Saalbach

Zell am See

Kaprun

Flachau

Filzmoos

Edited: 10 April 2014, 09:19
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiing in Salzburg

Regarding Stuhleck and the neighboring resort of Zau[:ber:]g in Semmering - these are both closed for the year, so hopefully you don't intend to do this anytime soon. Most people in Vienna go to these resorts for the day and do not spend the night - thus the lack of accommodations. It is easy to get the train out there and there are also busses that go direct to the resorts from Vienna during ski season.

Quezon City...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiing in Salzburg

Thanks for all your replies! But Cherries_Jubilee, what do you mean? Like this coming December there will be no skiing in the Semmering area? Is it under renovation or something?

I have until April 15 to confirm a booking for the Alpenhof in Semmering.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,523 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skiing in Salzburg

I think that cherries meant for the skiing year. lifts in ski areas generally open mid dec, but as snow conditions were bad last year, even these were delayed. semmering is not a high resort, so the possibility of no snow is considerable.

if you really want to ski, stick to one of the higher and more popular resorts, accessed through either Salzburg or Innsbruck.

6. Re: Skiing in Salzburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2015, 05:15