We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport bus

West Virgina
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Airport bus

Does the Vienna Card cover any cost on the bus from the airport to Sudbahnhof? Trying to decide whether to purchase at the airport or later in the day.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport bus

No, the card does not. Discounts from the card are not that good. I would buy the 72 hr transit pass instead (still doesn't cover the bus though).

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport bus

the bus costs one way 6 Euro

and for a return ticket 11 Euro

paris london
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport bus

The Vienna Card gives you 1 euro off the bus fare (reducing the cost to 5 euros), or 1.50 off the express train fare (reducing it to 7.50 euros)

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport bus

If you plan to do much sightseeing , visiting museums etc.

the Vienna card can be a good thing.

I agree with prior poster that you receive a 1euro discount on airport transfer bus and 2 euro discount on the Cat Train.

For sightseeing discounts on admissions-- examples

Schönbrunn Palace. 11,40 euro with card - 12,90 without

Fine Arts museum 7 euro with card - 10 euro without

Mozarthaus 7 euro with card - 9 without

Just with the above visits you have about paid for the extra cost of the Vienna card ( 18,50 euro ) versus 72 hour card ( 12 euro )

More sightseeing saves money..

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
10 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport bus

I was just there 10 days ago.

I wouldn't bother with the airport bus. Depending upon which one you get you might have to wait up to 30 minutes for it, then it can be slow in traffic. It's not worth it to save 3 euros (Bus 6, train 9). The train is quicker and easier.

I don't think the Vienna card is worth the extra money either, the 72 hour pass is better.

UK3
UK
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport bus

......... except if there's two of you - then the 8 day ticket can be useful as two people each have 4 days!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,915 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport bus

@Airport bus:

It entirely depends on where you wanna go to. If your final destination is in the vicinity of Schwedenplatz, it's much more comfortable to take the bus instead of the CAT Express train (which terminates at Wien-Mitte what finally requires a transfer). If traffic is normal, you'll be there within 20 minutes. I would refrain from taking the bus in the morning, when the commuters block the motorway city-inbound (Mo-Fr).

@8 day pass (non-consecutive)

This is an good and barely known cheaper alternative, but requires a) a stay of eight days or b)if used in a group - that folks need to travel together all the time!

8. Re: Airport bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 11:29