We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bike ride

San Francisco
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
bike ride

i am traveling with my girlfriend our two teen daughters to melk, outside of vienna.....i want to rent bikes and ride from melk to krems....

trying to figure out how hard the ride would be--i hear it is three hours from melk to krems....is there a lot of car danger? is it hilly? how can i judge if this is something our small group can do? and once we get to krems, what do we do with the bikes? thank you.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bike ride

No car danger, the bike path is an easy ride, but be prepared to stop at villages and sights along the way. When do you go? Weather could be a factor if you go before May. If you ride to Krems you can always load your bikes on the boat and sail back up to Melk, good relaxation, especially if you have a couple of Edelweiss beers.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bike ride

we are going in april before the boats begin, so we need some way of getting the bikes back....or an arrangement where we can leave them in krems.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bike ride

The DDSG boatsbegin to run April 7.

They offer a special package All in One Ticket for bike rental - picnic - and their boat to rturn for example to krems.

www.ddsg-blue-danube.at

look under sightseeing cruises Wachau - All in One ticket

If this does not fit your plans-

You can take the local train from the Franz Josef Bahnhof in Vienna ( the streetcar car D takes you there in the direction of Nussdorf) to Krems in about 1 hour. -cost about 11 euro.

A nice place to rent Bikes in Krems - this is on the Danube River and near to the bike path

R u R -

Rund Ums Rad

Steiner Landstrasse 103

Krems/Stein

They rent and sell good bikes.

You can take a taxi to the bike place from the train station - taxis always just outside the station for a small price.

probably 20 +minute walk.

They rent nice bikes for 13 euro per day.

However you must return the bike there.

The ride along the Danube is easy, safe and scenery is excelent.

Dedicated bike path is paved and well marked. It wanders through vineyards, small towns and of course along the river.

You can ride as far as you wish through the towns of Loiben, Durnstein, Weissenkirchen, Spitz. etc.

Most towns have a small regional train station with service about every hour or less back to krems if you do not wish to ride both ways.

The train is accustomed to having bikes loaded. It is a small train usually 1 or 2 cars.

Small signs - showing "Bahnhof" will direct you in each town.

But these are small places easy to find the station.

You pay the train engineer for the trip.- not expensive.

Get off the train at the Stein stop just before the main station in krems- then a short ride back to the bike place. You can not get lost - always the river to guide you.

Sorry the bike place has a website but only in german

www.fahrradreisen.at

I believe they do speak english at the shop.

This makes a nice day.

You could also take the train as soon as you get the bikes to Melk ( actually just across the River from It) tour the Abbey and then bike back to Krems- You can bike this in much less than 3 hours - but most take their time and stop someplace sightseeing. and food.

Melk to Krems is the downstream route - so overall slightly downhill - no real hills - is easily done by casual bike riders.

A fun day.

Singapore
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: bike ride

Hi Vertical,

I am interested to rent bikes from the bike shop which you mentioned May I know the name of the nearest train station? From the OBB website, there seems to be a couple of stations in Krems.

Thanks.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bike ride

Taking the train from Vienna to Krems- just one stop in Krems .

It is the main train station for the city and is the end station for this train. It may be listed as Krems a.d. Donau ( Krems on the Danube ) and would be listed on the Austrian Rail website that way.

Taxis can be found just ouside of the station - about 2 - 2 1/2

kilometers to the rental shop - perhaps 5 minutes.

Walking about 25 minutes- easier to take the taxi

or a small regional train leaves from the Krems Main station just a few minutes after the arrival of the Vienna train.

It stops at Krems university and then krems- Stein- Mautern about 400 meters from the bike shop.

exirt train turn left and walk with Danube to your right side along the river to bike shop-

still easier with taxi.

This is the train I mention in my previous post that runs through the many villages along the River.

The train from Vienna usually consists of passenger cars with 2 decks. Take the upper deck for better views of the country.

If you come soon, you will see many farmer fields with yellow fowers everywhere.

This is known as Rasp here.

It is used to make Rasp oil that many use here for healthy cooking.

More questions - just ask- this bike trip is really a nice day in the country with much to see - of course in good weather.

I just returned from a walk by the Danube - Fantasic warm sunny day- hundreds of bikers taking advantage of the Holiday time - schools closed - to enjoy the day.

Austin
Level Contributor
916 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bike ride

Last year we spent a spectacular five days in the Wachau, with bicycles and the boat as our only means of transport. The biking for us out-of-shape folk with a toddler strapped to the back of one bike was easier than expected, especially when riding downstream (i.e. towards Vienna).

Life is made more diffcult by having to decide which side of the Danube to ride on -- north (Krems/Dürnstein) or south (Melk) side. Both sides offer great cycling. The north bank goes through more little towns (i.e. Weissenkirchen) and is on a completely dedicated bikepath, while the north bank, which we loved, is a little bit less touristy, more shaded, yet shares the road for about two miles (I think -- it wasn't much).

We arranged to have bicycles and a childseat delivered to (and picked up from) our hotel by Rent a Wachau Bike.

http://www.rentawachaubike.at/

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bike ride

Happy that JoJoKo added another bike rental place.

I had forgotten about this place in Mautern across the River from Krems.

Just to add some things about the bike ways --

All are well marked with direction signs.

It is very easy to alternate sides of the river as you can cross the Danube by bridge in Melk and Krems and by small ferry boat in Weissenkirchen, Spitz and one little known one in Dürnstein.

The view from the right side ( melk side ) across the river to Spitz and Weissenkirchen is especially nice.

You can cross from Spitz via the ferry and then recross in Weissenkirchen.

The ferry crooses the river without use of a motor - uses the river current to push it.

Sometimes you share the ferry with cows being moved by local farmers or a tractor used to tend the vineyards.

Please note the the ferry sometimes stops for a midday pause for food.

Gradually the right side adds more dedicated bike paths - a new portion this year - but has a problem some places as the rock cliffs come near to the river .

You will see many swimming in the Danube - weather permitting-

many on ikes stop for a while and relax on the beaches- especially nice in Weissenkirchen and a little place in Dürnstein

A nice danube ship museum in Spitz- shows the history of commerce on the Danube.

In Weissenkirchen town center - usually a fine exhibition of some type- often excelent historic paintings.

Be certain to stop at one of the many places to test the wine and enjoy local food.

Austin
Level Contributor
916 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bike ride

"Stop at one of the many places"??? ONE??? It was so hard NOT to stop while pedalling by.

Veritcal's right about the small ferries. They are a hoot.

Definitely bike-riding heaven.

Singapore
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: bike ride

Dear Vertical & Jojoko

Thanks a lot for the info. I will be reaching Vienna on 13 May, hope I am in time to catch the yellow flowers at the Danube Valley.

Austin
Level Contributor
916 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bike ride

It will be an unforgettable trip. Last week my three year-old daughter wanted to look at our Dürnstein photos yet again. (We visited the Prater, too, in Vienna, but it did not make nearly the same impression that the Wachau did.)

She puts change in her piggy bank so save money for another trip to Austria.