We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Praterstern

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Praterstern

According to Wikipedia the Praterstern station and its surroundings "are often considered to be one of the eyesores of Vienna, as it has attracted both a high number of homeless people as well as a high level of crime"

As this has been sourced from Wikipedia, I just wanted to confirm whether this is true. I'll be staying in a hotel closeby, I am now beginning to wonder whether I should change my hotel...

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Praterstern

Praterstern can be a bit unsafe a night. If you are a single lady maybe you choose another hotel, if you are a small group there is no problem. As with all spots for tourists you should be careful with your valuables.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Praterstern

Well, I'm not a single lady...and I'd be going with my family.

But, just generally, is it a nice place to stay for a week? Is it the kind of place where one would feel like going back to after a day of sightseeing?

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Praterstern

The Praterstern stop is used by tens of thousands of people on a daily basis as it is a major transfer point for train, bus, streetcar and U-Bahn lines. They pass by without any real trouble.

For the past several years it has major construction around it due to the extension of U-Bahn line U-2 and construction of a new train station- it can gand get very dirty and congested. Then add the many visitors to the Prater

It is not really an unsafe place during the day- but perhpas less so late at night.

Perhpas the biggest problem is caused by the supermarket there with long opening hours including weekends- when many other places are closed.

It attracts drinkers - access to cheap alcohol and homeless. - food alcohol and toilet facilities.

A hotel in this area is not really the best location to see the many things of Vienna. You really need to take public transport for most every thing except a visit to the Prater. Not a good selection of restaurants nearby either.

You should be able to find a more centrally located place at a reasonable cost.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Praterstern

Agree with Vertical. If you stay for a week try an apartment more centrally located. Many of my friends have stayed at apartments Am Opernring and have loved the place, here's the link:

apartment.at/index_eng.php3/app/172/Duschel

You can also try apartments Augarten, Beatrix Walkner is a wonderful landlady:

http://members.chello.at/walkner/gallerie/

I think either place will give you a much better experience.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Praterstern

Thanks! Now, I have to wait and see whether I get a refund from the hotel.

Operettaman, thanks for the suggestions, will surely consider them if I get a refund...

6. Re: Praterstern

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 13:16