We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna to Munich

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Vienna to Munich

I'm trying to plan next year's Viennese treat - but I want to get to Munich at the end of June also.

I'm not having much success trying to source flights from Leeds to Vienna to Munich to Leeds, so I'm trying to work out how to get from V to M by train - but not having much success there either!

Any ideas much appreciated.

Alice

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Leeds
Leeds
West Yorkshire, UK
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna to Munich

Gidday! Glad to hear you're planning your next Wien trip (a friend of mine is going tomorrow, for a whole week, for part of the Ring cycle, I could cheerfully throttle her!)

As for your side trip to Muenchen - there are direct trains from Wien, from the Westbahnhof. Looks like it takes about 4.5 hrs and they run mildly often (every hour-ish but some of those ones you need to change in Salzburg which adds about half an hour to your journey). Yikes, that'll be 135,60 euros return by this year's prices. Still, I imagine it would be way cheaper than trying to get an internal flight ... though you could have a crack at it with Lufthansa I guess.

I travel a lot on the trains in Austria and they are so blissful compared with the UK ho ho, so fast, punctual, and tidy! Loads of room for luggage too (hoisting it into the carriages requires some muscle but there's usually a kindly austrian gentleman at hand to help). 2nd class is fine; seat reservations on these intercity express trains highly advisable(cost about 2.50 euros per seat reservation I think).

Might be an opportunity for you to break your journey and have a night in Salzburg, also very cute!

You can search the schedules at www.oebb.at (much better than silly Deutschebahn site) and if you can make it work, if you pretend you are buying the ticket it will quote you the price. I have an idea now that you can actually buy tix and reserve seats online and "print your own ticket" which I intend to try in September!

Hope that helps

xr

PS did you see the Wiener Staatsoper schedule for 2005/06 came out on Friday? Cue total hysteria from moi as I try to work out how I can attend a dozen different things at SO and VO in the space of about 5 days in Sept! VO schedule is not yet out but I have an idea it might be released tomorrow. Eeek!

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Austria
Austria
Europe
Wiener
Wiener
283 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna to Munich

Thanks, Roley, I'll investigate that site when I get chance. You're right, it's quite a trainfare but cheaper, as far as I can see, than a flight. Salzburg might be a good idea too.

I really want to do Vienna in smallish bites, so's never to get to the tired or bored stage (like you could!). I wanted to catch a bit of Mozart but I am also desperate to see Gruberova in Norma in Munich at the end of June (I saw her in concert form in SO this year, dying to see the real acted version).

The best combination I can see is a Zauberfloete on June 16th, I think but then it's a fortnight to Norma, that's quite a long (and expensive) time to fill.

Will definitely go back to Suzanne in Wien and tempted by a b&b on the outskirts of Munich also called Suzanne. Silly to go just for the name.

Ring-wise, I'm saving myself for the SO new production in 2007. When do you return?

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Cafe Mozart
Cafe Mozart
2,702 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna to Munich

Bored of Vienna? is that possible?!! ;) I'd say probably not - I've been going there several times a year for 2 years and haven't run out of stuff to do yet!

With regards to the timing for your trip - when the VO release their schedule (gnash gnash) they might have something of Mozart on towards the end of June 2006. The SO prog looks rather grim just then. I'd love to go to the Wiener Philharmoniker performance of some of the piano concertos in late June (www.musikverein.at) but of course one can never get tickets for that sort of thing ... I imagine the churches will also be rolling out the grander masses, which I do like. Actually i imagine everyone will be fed up to the eyeballs with Mozart long before the year is out!

Oh look, here is a programm for the Mozart year ...

rather a mess and incomplete as yet but you can have a gawk (www.mozart2006.net) Probably easier to search the ordinary Wien events database www.nethotels.com/events/english/events.asp…

I'm off again in June *this* year and so far not too clear what I'll be doing (aside from the obligatory visit to the Winter Reitschule to pay my dues to Mantua & the boys!) I stuffed up my order for SO tix I think (trying to get one to the premiere of Manon Lescaut but I got me dates in a jumble - their pre-order system is so bloomin' byzantine!) But at least I did get a ticket for the Lustige Witwe at the VO. Then I'm there again in September travelling round with a friend starting and finishing in Wien , kicking off with Zauberfloete on 3 September ... with a ballet (friend's choice) in mid-month and a Rossballett in Innsbruck (my choice ;) And an operetta or two also, I hope ...

If you do end up staying in Salzburg i heartily recommend the Gablerbraeu - it's my favourite hotel there and handy for everything despite being in the new town.

Rats. Another friend arrived in Wien today - I want what jolly thing SHE'S doing right now. I'm pea-green!

xr

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Cafe Mozart
Cafe Mozart
2,702 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Wiener
Wiener
283 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Mantua
Mantua
Province of Mantua, Italy
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna to Munich

If you're under 27 (16-26) years old, you could purchase a "��BB VorteilsCard <26" which is EUR 19,90 (valid for one year). You only need a foto and a valid passport/ID-card.

At the ticket-counter, you get a pre-card (a kind of ticket) which is valid for 2 months, the real card will be sent to you by post.

With this card, you get 45-50% off your tickets in Austria (buy them online or at the vending machine and get 50%), and 25% off when going abroad (in Austria -45/50%, abroad -25%)

The fare Wien Westbahnhof - M��nchen Hauptbahnhof - Wien Westbahnhof is then only EUR 80,80 at a little bit more at a ticket-counter.

Mentioned in this post
Austria
Austria
Europe
Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vienna to Munich

Thanks Roley and Robbi - sadly I'd nearly need two discount cards at my age lol!

OK, hold everything. Found Gruberova in Ariadne on December 1 at SO. Trying to convince myself I can afford a Christkindlmarkt...I bet I can.

Having problems trying to find a hotel booking site. I know I can book Suzanne direct but earlier this year I'd booked online and got a better deal, I just can't find where.

Can anyone recommend a site?

Thanks!

Hanover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vienna to Munich

Have a look at

http://www.hrs.de/

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vienna to Munich

Ugh, that sounds fantastic! Vienna is gorgeous at Christmas and I am pea green with envy - it's the busiest time of year for me at work and I know I won't get to the markets this year boo hoo hoo. There's so much on music-wise too - it's one of my favourite seasons (she sobs pathetically).

Right mopping up and getting down to business - possible hotel booking sites! I am not sure about this cos i have usually found I do get the best deals going direct to the hotel so I've never actually used any of these except Nethotel.com. And these sites tend not to have the cheaper deals till last minute (how are your nerves?) But here goes:

http://www.hrs.de

This is a German site used as the "official hotel partner" of Austrian Airlines. It *does* have some cheaper prices than booking direct so is well worth a look. I've always found their Salzburg prices in particular good value. And you can book and cancel online so it's a nice interface.

http://www.nethotels.com

This is the site used by the Vienna tourist info board. I've used it for a last-minute booking and found it fine - but I don't think it is specially cheap. But it is very comprehensive and it lets you search by district which is good if you are an innere Stadt snob.

http://www.venere.com

This is linked from tripadvisor too. I quite like it because it does pensions as well as hotels so I've found it a handy resource though never done a booking thru it.

Have fun with those!

xr

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vienna to Munich

Thanks, Bill and Roley! Suzanne seems to have dropped off booking sites. Can't lie, I was hoping to find a cheap deal, not that there's anything wrong with the ��76 the hotel quote. When I went in Feb. I'd somehow got a cheaper than usual rate, which the hotel honoured. That's probably why they've vanished from those kind of sites!

Now, weather. Is it thick coat and boots time again? One of these days I'll see Vienna without snow!

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vienna to Munich

Yep, 76 epn is pretty good, I reckon! However, December pre xmas is, curiously enough, sort of shoulder season in Vienna, and last year I got an amazing deal at Pertschy for a mid-December stay (unfortunately they're not doing it this year, or I might be tempted!)

I'm staying at Christina for the first time in June - that's 72 epn for a single. So I can let you know how that goes ... altho' it's technically a ways from the opera, being down at the Schwedenplatz, you can whizz round almost to the door on the no. 1 tram, so I figure it's actually quite handy. I seem to spend half my life trooping to and from the Schwedenplatz for one reason or other so might as well stay down there!

Have you thought of Nossek? I really liked them and the location is fantastic, altho no telly was a bind (I like teletext weather forecasts!) I think they are charging about 69 or 73 epn for a single (both ensuite with shower but one bigger than the other). But if you book miles in advance and for a longer stay, I think they make you pay a deposit via bank transfer (because they don't take credit cards) and that is a pain because they are so expensive to do in the UK (they should get bloomin' paypal!)

The weather in December I think should be better than your trip this year. It is woolly coat time but I don't think they usually have snow-in-bulk till the new year so the pavements are clear - bonus! I remember tottering to Steffl at about 10pm for a late-night concert and it was so windy I nearly went arse over tip. It was snowing lightly and about minus 13 deg C so that was rather fierce. But lovely sunny days as I swanned round the markets (that was around 18 Dec).

But you should go in the summer too. It's boiling hot and feels like another place altogether and everyone sits in pavement cafes madly guzzling Eis. Wunderbar!

xr

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vienna to Munich

Nearly got December convinced in my mind for me! Rooms available at Suzanne, just waiting for a slight confusion over flights. I was searching through majortravel and the only to get a final total seems to have made the booking. I haven't paid anything and have emailed a query but until I hear from them that I'm not committed to them, I can't go ahead and book direct through klm, which is cheaper. Only by a few ���� - credit card handling charge and 'airline failure insurance'. If klm go out of business, the end of the world is imminent, so the charge is irrelevant!

This will give me Gruberova on the 1st and maybe Traviata on 2nd, I'll see.