We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

music/ events mid-July

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Topic
music/ events mid-July

Hi!

I'll be in Vienna from July 7-11. I'm looking for any advice on musical performances, operas, or anything cultural that you might know about during that time. How would I go about finding out events or performances for thoses specific dates??

Thanks for your input!

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: music/ events mid-July

Go to:

www.wien.info/wtv/eventdatenbank-e.html

Enter your dates and see what comes up.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: music/ events mid-July

THANK YOU!!! That website is amazing. Do you recommend any concert or experiencein particular? I'm a classical music fan, but my husband is just learning. Some of the concerts like the Mozart concert in costume and the concert in the Orangerie at the palace seem like they'd be great fun... I know, probaly geared more towards tourists (like me!!), but is the music great?

Thanks for your input.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: music/ events mid-July

La finta semplice, an opera by Mozart at Theatre an der Wien or Stift Klosterneuburg, a short ride by train outside the city is doing Beethoven's Fidelio. The costume concerts are very touristy, but if you must, you must. Vertical, another poster here can probably enlighten you more on some concerts. Some of the events held at the churches sound very nice.

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: music/ events mid-July

One thing to bear in mind is that the tourist concerts tend to be very expensive and (I've heard) the programmes may be quite short. For the same money you could hear something good at the Theater an der Wien - and for considerably less you could hear a good concert in a church. The Bach night at the Ruprechtskirche sounds good (4 Jul). And Beethoven at Klosterneuberg on 11 July would be interesting - and cheaper than some of the generic tourist concerts.

It's a shame you will miss some of the summer events which happen a little bit later from mid-July onwards - the operetta at Moerbisch, the Schlosstheater Schoenbrunn, and Baden, would all be fun for summer visitors.

rol

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: music/ events mid-July

from 30.6. bis 2.9. there is the film/music festival on Rathausplatz

they will mostly show classic concerts, operas, ballets on a big screen in front of the Rathaus (city hall)

There are many food stalls available which offers food and drinks from many nationalities. So this is also a good start for " beginners "

The program will be published in May.

6. Re: music/ events mid-July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 19:18