We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visas

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
Visas

Hi,

I will be visiting VIENNA for 3 weeks and will have schengen visa which authorizes my stay in Austria. I plan to Visit Bratislava, Prague and Budapest for 2 days each within these 3 weeks. My question is, Do I need a separate visa for these countries for a 2 day trip? Please let me know.

Thanks,

J

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visas

No, you are fine.

Earth
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visas

If you are a US citizen holding a United States passport, you do not need a visa for Hungary, Slovakia or the Czech Republic is the purpose of your visit is tourism and you do not intend to work during your stay. The same is true of Austria. US citzens travelling on a US passport may enter and stay in Austria for a maximum of three months with a visa when travelling as a tourist.

Earth
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visas

CORRECTION ON ABOVE ENTRY:

If you are a US citizen holding a United States passport, you do not need a visa for Hungary, Slovakia or the Czech Republic if the purpose of your visit is tourism and you do not intend to work during your stay. The same is true of Austria. US citzens travelling on a US passport may enter and stay in Austria for a maximum of three months WITHOUT a visa when travelling as a tourist.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visas

Thanks Agent and Operettaman. I do not have a US passport yet and might not have it in time for my trip and that is why I will be getting the schengen visa for Austria. Schengen visa is valid in all the 15 schengen countries but Hungary, Chezch Republic and Slovakia (Where I intend to go for 2 days each) are not schengen countries. I have seen on some websites that for some countries I wont need a separate visa if I am there for 5 days or less AND have a schengen visa. Am trying to get that confirmed for these three countries.

india
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visas

From Sept. 2006, holders of schengen visa do not need a visa for visiting Czech Republic for less than 5 days.

See this page

www.mzv.cz/wwwo/default.asp…

Sundeep

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visas

Yup I saw that one and called up Austrian embassy. They said they are not sure if this holds for a side trip or only for a "Transit". Similar changes have been made for Slovakia and Hungary as well.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visas

We came from Vienna yesterday and we were interested too.

However,the tourist information centerr at Westbahnhof train station told us that being an indian passport holder WILL NEED VISA FOR PRAGUE and told that it may take longer than 1 day . Unfortunately the next day was holiday in Vienna,hence we could NOT CONFIRM from the Czeck embassy. I called a few other tour companies in Vienna and they told me more or less the same thing.

So, call the Czeck embassy in USA and CONFIRM FROM THEM. I WILL NOT DEPEND ALWAYS on the information posted here.

Thanks

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Visas

Yeah thats true. Actually I got conflicting info from the Czech embassy in Chicago as well. Once I was told that since my side trip to Prague is only 2 days I wont need a visa. The other time I was told that since I am coming from Vienna and going back to Vienna this wont be regarded as a transit and therefore I will need a visa. I guess to be on the safe side I will just get the visas!

Question for you "FromTexas" - Are you trying to get the Czech visa in Vienna? How long will it take for you to get it and do they require all kinds of documents or just your passport with schengen visa? Fees?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,519 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visas

Just for info:

It is intended that the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Slovenia will join the Schengen area in the near future (January 2008) if they fulfill the eligibility criteria.

That means that all border checks will be lifted, but be advised, that Schengen can sometimes be waived if there is a serious issue.

10. Re: Visas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 02:17