We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna Visit - June 23-26

Virginia
10 posts
Save Topic
Vienna Visit - June 23-26

My wife and I will be in Vienna for 2.5 days and we have never been there before. I have a few questions. We want to see Vienna but really like things off the beaten path.

1. Is a Danube River Cruise to Melk worth the time? I've also heard of people taking a train to Melk and then a river cruise from Melk to Krems. Will we have enough time to do this and also enjoy Vienna. We're already planning on hitting the major attractions - Schonbrunn, Hofburg, Boys Choir, St. Stephen's, etc.

2. I've heard there are bike paths too along the Danube near Melk. Are they recommended and worth the time?

3. Our train from Prague arrives at the Wien Suedbahnhof at 12:28 and we are staying at the Hilton Vienna. How far is the train station from the hotel and what is the best method of transportation?

Thanks in advance.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna Visit - June 23-26

Well, all of your goals are good, however, with the small amount of time you have I think you should focus on Vienna. We have done all of the things you speak about, but we have done them on many visits, none of them being less than 8 days. Biking the Danube is an absolute wonderful experience, but you will never be able to appreciate all it ha to offer in a day or two. What I suggest is that you explore Vienna, maybe rent some bikes from Pedalpower for a day and bike up the Danube to Klosterneuberg (about 1-2 hrs) enjoy the scenery along the way and the monastery. Vienna is a city that is so wonderful, 2-1/2 days is not nearly enough for it. Please take your time for this city and not try to make it a horrible whirlwind thing where you can just say I saw that and did that without really taking the time to experience what you are seeing.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna Visit - June 23-26

2 + days in Vienna is not a long time to see things - thus I would not recommend a trip to Melk and the Danube if you really want to see things in Vienna as those you mention

The trip Melk- Danube is excelent ,but a full day tour.

The biking along the river is a great way to see things- enjoy the little towns , vineyards and sights The paths are paved , safe and dedicated to bikers- no vehicles- Many make a full vacation along this part of the danube.

The Sudbahnhof is not far from the Hilton. Of course the easiest way is to take a taxi. They are metered to insure a fair price. You will find many just outside of the station. It will take 5-10 minutes .

an alternative is to take public transport.

The strassenbahn ( streetcar ) line " O" can be found just outside of the station . You can take it about 6 stops to Marxergasse/ Landstrasse - then a short walk to the hotel-. direction toward the Stadtpark

With much luggage not that easy.

You can buy tickets from automatic machines in the train station.

I would recommend that you buy a 72 hour card if if you do not use this transfer method that allow unlimited travel on all public transport- a great help in sightseeing.

Enjoy Vienna!

Virginia
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna Visit - June 23-26

Thnaks for the replies. I, too, would like to be there longer but we could only stay for 2.5 days. Not knowing when or if we will ever get back to Vienna, we would like to do as much as possible. With that being said, I guess we will play any side trips by ear.

Are there any major attractions that we could go without seeing? My wife is a history buff.

Mannheim, Germany
Level Contributor
224 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna Visit - June 23-26

Dear rwscot,

I am finishing my second week in Vienna. With the amount of time that you will be here, if you follow the D streetcar line and view any of the sites along the line, I think you will be very pleased. This has been recommended to me and it is an easy way to determine your bearings of the city. Vienna is like an outdoor museum. My favorite area so far is on the Burg Ring. There are so many monumental buildings it is amazing. I have never seen so many fantastic, large, beautiful buildings and well-manicured gardens in such close proximity. From this area you can walk, comfortably, almost anywhere. It is very green and wonderful.

Enjoy your stay!

5. Re: Vienna Visit - June 23-26

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 14:18