We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling to this part of Europe for the first time

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Englewood, New...
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Topic
traveling to this part of Europe for the first time

Hi, I am flying into Vienna at the end of Sept. and would like to travel also to Prague and Budapest (no particular order). Can someone help me? We are traveling for 10 days. What are the definite highlights to see? Any recommendation on how to travel from Vienna to Prague and Budapest - train, plane, hydrofoil? What's the weather like at that time?

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling to this part of Europe for the first time

If you have not already booked your flights- look into an " Open Jaw " flight ticket- arriving in one city and departing from another.

Example fly to budapest - train to Vienna then onward by train to Prague - then fly home from Prague . or the same trip in reverse.

I say this as Vienna is between Prague and Vienna.- Arriving and departing from Vienna forces an extra train trip and lost sightseeing time.

The train is the best way to travel inmy opinion. The boat Vienna - Budapest is old , slow and expensive- the scenery not all that great.

Flights can be expensive and do not really save time considering transfer time city to airport and waiting times.

for train information look to

www.oebb.at

ienna high lights depend on your interests-

for good tourist information

www.info.wien.at

must sees

Schönbrunn Palace

Hofburg Palace including the treasury - Spanish Riding School if you like horses.

Opera or Operetta - but you can find this in all cities mentioned.

Museums

Fine Arts Museum

www.khm.at

to see if this is for you

Museum Quarter.

Churches

Stephansdom

St. Peters

Weather - impossible to predict - recent Septembers have been relatively warm.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
46 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling to this part of Europe for the first time

In Vienna, you must not miss the Kunsthistoriches Museum. It is one of the best in Europe and contains such a diverse array of displays. Street people sell tickets to nightly operas, ballet, symphony or even a combination of all 3. these are affordable and dress is casual. the people are ususally in period costumes and you can trust them even though their "box offices" are on the streets. I agree that Schonbrumm is a must see as well. There is so much to do and see in Vienna. Budapest is fantastic as well. I recommend train travel. Fisherman's Bastion, St. Mathias Church and many other sites will fill your days. Try to get to the country to see the famous Danube Bend. Please excuse any mispellings.

Englewood, New...
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling to this part of Europe for the first time

Thank you both for your great recommendations!

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling to this part of Europe for the first time

Regarding tickets bought from " Street People in period costumes"

Please save your money and look for good performances elsewhere.

These tickets are not for the regular Ballet or Opera, but rather shows directed to tourists at high prices and often questionable quality in my opinion.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
46 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: traveling to this part of Europe for the first time

yes, the shows are "touristy" but we found them to be quite entertaining at a low price. We bargained for our price and got cheaper tickets.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: traveling to this part of Europe for the first time

Agree with vertical, there are usually plenty of good musical venues happening in Vienna. The "costume" concerts are not a part of this, but if you are not a real aficionado and just want a concert...

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
46 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: traveling to this part of Europe for the first time

Yes, if you want the "real" thing, you will not be satisfied with the Vienna Residenz Orchestra. (I think that it was it was called). we didn't have much time nor did we want to dress up so it was perfect for us.

Philadelphia Area
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: traveling to this part of Europe for the first time

Excuse all my mispells. I just came home from Vienna and Prague.

Vienna:

The Kunthisoris Museum, Nasch Market, the larger churches, the Ring, the Royal Crypts (not too be missed), and the basement of St. Stephans.

Restaurants: Ilona Struberl for dinner or lunch & The European / Europa for gelato (near the Plague Statue) & Ristorante Danielli (between the Opera and St. Stephans) also a good dinner restaurant.

* If you like Opera, obviously you would want to go here. I only like a few. None were playing at the time I went.

Prague:

Old Town Square, the larger churches - St. Vitus etc., the St. Charles Bridge, most of all ... walk all over. The buidlings are amazing!!!

*If you like classical music. There are church and organ concerts everywhere. I think if I did it again. I would not go to St. Francis Church, but to St. Vitus Church for that.

We took the train from Prague to Vienna. It took 4 hours and went quickly.

9. Re: traveling to this part of Europe for the first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 05:28