We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Music performance

Dublin
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Topic
Music performance

Hi,

was wondering whether how much is the music performance in vienna? What is the dress code for ladies and men?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Music performance

What performance?

Dublin
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Music performance

I'm not really sure what performance is shown in vienna. But in general, any music performance, choir etc.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Music performance

Vienna is not for nothing called the capital of music, you will find anything here from 2 operahouses to numerous concert halls, churches that feature very talented choirs ... and the price range is nearly as wide. It starts with sometimes even free concerts in churches, even for the world-famous Vienna State Opera you can get standing tickets that cost not more than a cinema-ticket ... whereas for the same performance you cant get seats that cost more then an overnight in a 5* hotel ... An example: For IL PURITANO in the state opera tomorrow night, you could get a standing ticket for € 10, seats start at € 29 and go to .... € 178. The Wiener Musikverein, one of the most famous concert halls of the world, where the annual New Years Day concert comes from, eg. would have tickets for a classical concert from € 39 - € 72 for tomorrow, so it all depends a little bit on what you want to see and how much you want to spend. If you can tell me a certain date, we could go through a few locations and I might be able to recommend something to you.

Greetings, fritz

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Music performance

Fritz, you are a wealth of information. You will be a great help to all who seek info on your wonderful city.

AshleyTXY:

Go to:

www.wien.info/wtv/eventdatenbank-e.html

enter your dates and see what comes up. As Fritz has told you: Wien is a city that is totally immersed in music of all kinds. Just avoid the concerts that the people in costumes hawk around the city.

Toronto
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Music performance

Hello Fritz,

You are indeed an excellent source of information. We are going to be in Vienna in February for about 6 days (arriving 2, leaving 8). I am a great opera fan, and I already checked both the State Opera and the Volksoper's websites, so I am familiar with the performances during our stay. My question: I am reluctant to order tickets through the Internet, as usually they give you the best available, but there is no real choice on where you want to seat. If I try to get tickets while in Vienna (in February) so I can go to the box office and choose my seats, will I be able to find tickets, or do I need to order now? Same question, of course, for the Musikverein and the Konzerthaus.

Thanks,

Artreeva (Canada)

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Music performance

As far as the Volksoper goes; we were able to order our tickets online and choose our seating with no problems at all. We have done this for many performances there.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Music performance

hello Artreeva,

Thank you for the compliemnts, I am trying to do my best.

I have just done a testrun on the online-bookings for Staatsoper, Muiskverein and Konzerthaus, and I have to say I found a seating map to choose from on all of them, but they all have to seem some weaknesses in the English translations, because eventhough I used the english links all the time, you are right, there are still many descriptions in German. Somebody posted like a users -manual for the booking engine of Volks- and Staatsoper a few days before, it is probably on page 2 already now of the forums, the title was something like "How to book tickets in Volksoper" or something like that, just have a look ... The other option would be to invest a few dollars into your phone bill, and try to order the tickets by phone. I was e.g. on the line with the Volksoper yesterday regarding the question of another user from here, and eople in the back were continiously talking about tickets in English, the necessary phone numbers should beon the webpages, otherwise let me know and I will get them for you !

About the general situation with bookings at that time: Its not the highest of the seasons, you are coming at a time when most Austrians prefer a skiing-holiday, but stil, its a bit of a gamble. I am sure you would also get some nice tickets if you wait until arrival, but if theses then are a) The performances b) the dates and c) even the tictes that you would have wanted, is questionable ! So I would say: If you have a bit of flexibility, and you are not fixed on one certain performance (and you don´t mind running around a bit) you can wait until arrival, but if you want to be sure, I would go for the online order option !

Greetings from Vienna, Fritz

Toronto
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Music performance

Thanks Fritz,

In my computer, I can find the seating plans, but when I go to order tickets, the only choice I have is the price. So I think I will follow your advice and phone, as I have specific requirements (aisle seat). In Toronto, I know all the venuew, so I cn easily order for what I want.I am sure there are English speakers there, amazingly the whole world speaks English. I do speak many languages (I am European), but German is not one of them. Before I order, I will explore the Internet once more, maybe there are other ways to access these places. Thanks a lot for your help, I will keep you posted of my success or failure.

Artreeva

Toronto
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Music performance

Dear Operettaman,

I need your help. I have websites for Volksoper, including the seating plan, but there is no mechanism to choose seats, except for the category of price. I can't find a seating plan where the still available seats are shown, and when I go to order, my only choice is the price, but not the exact seats. I got burned before ordering from the Internet (La Bastille, Paris) and getting the right category price but very bad seats. I tried to phone, but after the initial contact, I only get a busy signal and am interrupted. You mentioned that you could order your exact seats. Could you tell me what website do you use? Also do you have similar websites for oter venues, Opera, Musikverein, Konzerthaus?

Many thanks,

Atreeva

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Music performance

Wbsites you could try:

Staatsoper:

staatsoper.at/Content.Node2/…7590.php

Musikverein:

www.musikverein.at/konzerte/konzerte.asp

Konzerthaus:

http://konzerthaus.at/home_e

Only getting a busy signal at Volksoper seems to be normal, they don´t run a waiting on the line thing, just try again and again, I always get through after two or three tries ! The rest I leave to Operettaman !

Greets, Fritz