We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opera House Tickets

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
713 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Opera House Tickets

I am trying to get tickets for La Traviata on the 8 Dec but they are sold out on the official website of teh Opera. Can anyone suggest another website where I can get these tickets? Thanks

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opera House Tickets

Ö-Ticket stil has tickets for it, but unfortunatly only in the more expensive categories starting at € 133:

https:/…performance.html

Its kind of a bad evening to search for a cheap ticket, its a national holiday in Austria, but the shops are open for an exception, hundreds of thousands of people from around Vienna stream into the city to do their christmas shoppig, its a Saturday ....

Hope you are still enjoying it anyway !

Greets, Fritz

Massachusetts
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Opera House Tickets

Hi twanny,

Tickets at the State Opera don't go on sale until 30 days before the performance. When you go onto their website, check the monthly program, then click on tickets for your date and you'll see the price list.

Or you can select "standby tickets." You make a reservation and choose your price range, and they'll fill your order 30 days before and notify you by e-mail.

I did this for an October performance - reserved 2 months in advance. Be warned though, it's all in German. I used babelfish to translate as I went along. Got some funny syntax, but eventually got it done. I'd practice a few times before finally reserving or purchasing.

They sent a confirmation of the reservation in German, so I e-mailed back for the info in English, which they provided. When my tickets were assigned, they sent e-mails in both languages. We'll pick up the tickets at the box office.

Of course, if you or someone can read the German, you should have no problem.

Good luck, CM

Massachusetts
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Opera House Tickets

Hello again twanny,

Just to clarify. The official State Opera website is

www dot staatsoper.at - They have info in English.

When you click on tickets, it takes you to the ticket agency:

www2 dot culturall.com which is all in German.

CM

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Opera House Tickets

Hi,

I saw on the websites that tickets come from 9 till 157 euros. Why this big difference?

I understood there are stand up tickets? Can you see something?

I want to see Romeo & Julliet on the 3rd December.

Thanks a lot.

Adrian

Massachusetts
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Opera House Tickets

Hi Adrian,

If you go to the State Opera website (www.staatsoper.at) and click on "general ticket sales" you'll find all the information, including a color-coded seating plan.

Front orchestra is most expensive. Least expensive, rear of the gallery.

Stand-by reservations can be made anytime on-line, but you can't select specific seats, just a price range.

If available, tickets are assigne 30 days before. I would guess they are distributed in the same order as requests are received.

Advanced sales begin on-line 30 days before performance.

Phone orders are accepted 29 days before performance.

Standing room tickets go on sale 80 minutes before a performance with two price categories:

Parterre - 3.50 Euros

Balcony and Gallery - 2 Euros

I've not been to the State Opera before, so I can't answer your question as to views.

Good luck,

CM

London
Level Contributor
713 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Opera House Tickets

MAC thanks a lot for your help. I just had a quick look and will try to find someone who understands German to do it for me. Am I right in saying that you can only book in advance by giving a price range and I cannot specify which tickets I want? Thanks

Massachusetts
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Opera House Tickets

Hi twanny,

That's right - you enter the lowest and highest ticket price you willing to pay. Also, you have to register. They assign seats after subscription seating is filled and just before on-line sales begin.

As it turned out, I could have waited because enough seats were/are still available for my performance. But Traviata is so popular, and as Fritz said, Dec. 8 is a holiday, I'd reserve stand-by.

There's no guarantee of seats - it's probably first-come, first-served. They don't charge your card until your seats are assigned.

Let us know how you make out.

CM

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Opera House Tickets

MAC thanks a lot for the infos.

I have reserved stand by tickets.

If i'm not lucky, i have another question regarding the standing tickets.

Is there sure they sell those tickets 80 minutes before or is it dependant on something else.

thanks again

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Opera House Tickets

MAC one more question:

I reserved the stand by tickets for 3 December (romeo & juliette) but puted down the page at:

<<< Bitte beachten Sie das vorgeschlagene Zuteilungsdatum und ändern Sie es ggf. nach Ihren Wünschen. Karten können zugeteilt werden bis spätestens >>>>>

the date of 1 December.

Does this affect my reservation ? Should I have puted on an early date?

thanks

Massachusetts
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Opera House Tickets

Hi Adrian,

I think that's the date to pick up the tickets, but I'm not really sure.

Why don't you start a new topic and ask if a German speaker can translate it for you.

I don't know how many tickets they sell for standing room, but it seems that they're on sale for every performance.

I'd get the 9 Euro tickets, if any are available. At least you'd have a seat, and not have to wait in line.

CM