This is a little hard to plan as its rather far out yet (Sep/Oct '09) but I'm hoping you wise folks can give me some feedback on what is doable and what is not. And - if I'm missing out on really important places. I'm not feeling expertise in reading the train schedules either so . . . advice there would help also.
*The Plan of the Moment* is to fly into either directly to Munich or to Munich via London. (Can't get airline info yet either.) Thereafter:
1) Balance of day in Munich & Overnight in Munich
2) Next day a midday train to Innsbruck & O/N in Innsbruck
3) Next day a midday train to Salzburg and O/N in Salzburg
4) Next day a late evening train (hopefully in compartment - not sure what they are called) for an overnight to Budapest. Don't want to change trains but don't know if this is possible?
5) Next day & O/N in Budapest.
6) Next day train to Vienna preferably arriving mid day. Balance of day in Vienna.
7) Next day in Vienna (and maybe one more day in Vienna but not sure yet).
9) A couple of days in Venice & then a train to Rome where we'll spend a couple of days and then board a Eastern Med Cruise.
So -- is this reasonably doable? Would we be better to rent a car in Munich, tour/drive thru Innsbruck & Salzburg . . .to Vienna, then take the train to and from Budapest?
Is Linz worth spending half a day or so? We only have so much time and although many places seem quite close together, we want to enjoy ourselves and not be on total sensory overload every hour of everyday.
So -- what say you experts? :-))