We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing Help

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
109 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Packing Help

I leave for Prague and Vienna in a week so I hope to start packing this weekend. I have opera tickets in both cities and also booked a museum dinner in Vienna.

I want to pack as light as possible but will need something dressy for these events. Would a black long sleeve dress with dress boots be proper? It's sweater material so not formal but still dressy. I'd love to go formal but I need something that will pack well and something I can walk to the events wearing.

My coat is hooded with a Black Suede exterior and reverses to faux fur. The suede side works with my casual clothes and the fur looks dressy. The weather is looking like it will be cold so this should keep me warm. If it's rains this time of year, would it normally just be showers so I can get away with an umbrella. (No rain coat? I really don't want to bring two coats.)

Thank you very much for all your advice!!!

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Packing Help

No idea about Prague, but your clothes sound fine for Vienna. Though people make much of the opera dress code, you will see all kinds of outfits there and your dress sounds fine. If you want, you can jazz it up with a scarf / jewellery which are easy to pack. The Viennese love their spangles, judging by what I see in the evenings (no criticism - so do I!) There's a coat check at the opera where you can leave your coat and sopping brolly (I always bring a plastic bag to shove that into when I hand it in). You can probably get away with an umbrella - if it rains it'll probably chuck down but likely for shorter bursts. I never bring a raincoat - I'd rather have a warm coat and a brolly. Vienna is pretty windy so a sturdy umbrella is advisable!

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
109 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Packing Help

I'm going to start packing tonight. THANKS!!!

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Packing Help

Whatever the previous contributor suggested about Vienna also applies to Prague. Your choice of dress is perfect; pack light & have a wonderful time in both cities..

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Packing Help

Have a wonderful time. Will you post a report? I'd love to read it as we will be in both cities in April and I'm looking for ideas.

5. Re: Packing Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2010, 06:18