We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hydrofoil Budapest to Vienna

Toronto
Level Contributor
49 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Hydrofoil Budapest to Vienna

This sounded like a great idea but in truth, the river is very wide and the ship travels in the center. So, you see very, very little.

My wife was bored to tears most of the way. And when we got to Vienna there were no taxis at the dock. Not one.

We had to walk quite a ways to a street (dragging our luggage). Very few taxis going by; we got lucky and caught one.

In retrospect, we should have taken the train to Vienna.

Edited: 08 January 2010, 21:24
vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hydrofoil Budapest to Vienna

While it is good that you post your experience regarding the hydrofoil , this is not news on this forum.

For years most all advice on this subject has been to take the train.

The hydrofoil is old , slow and expensive with little great scenery.

One only needs to use the search box entering something similar to " hydrofoil to budapest " for many comments ion the subject.

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
314 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hydrofoil Budapest to Vienna

Thanks for the post and the information. It was very helpful.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
448 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hydrofoil Budapest to Vienna

Handy to know as I was going to take the Hydrofoil this summer but may reconsider as now a few people have told me it's not what you expect.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hydrofoil Budapest to Vienna

I just did the hydrofoil from Budapest to Vienna on July 3rd and loved it. It was very scenic and beautiful.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
16,841 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hydrofoil Budapest to Vienna

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! ;-)

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
987 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hydrofoil Budapest to Vienna

Thank You for the honest contributions folks.

Web extract……

“Are you about to visit Hungary ? Do you want to see Austria, too ? Try the hydrofoil lines plying on the Danube between Budapest and Vienna and discover the beautiful cities and landscapes you will travel by. Enjoy the view only birds and sailors can... In only 6 hours you can pass through three capitals on the banks of the Danube: Budapest, Bratislava and Vienna”.

• “A guide presents the sights of the journey (Budapest - Vac - Visegrad - Nagymaros - Esztergom - Sturovo/Parkany/ - Komarom - the Gabcikovo channel - Bratislava - Devin - Hainburg - the Freudenau channel - Vienna) “

Sounds like a great travel experience to me.

BrittOn1997, I'm with you.

Doesn't have to be #5 (5 star) in all respects ( nor does accommodation) to be an great travel experience. That’s travel, no?

Connections at the Vienna end.? Is that a shortcoming. How did you do BrittOn? Seems it worked for you.

Mentioned in this post
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Austria
Austria
Europe
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
16,841 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hydrofoil Budapest to Vienna

Acedog - have you actually done this trip? I have and I found very little of beauty either on or off the boat. I wouldn't castigate BrittOn1997, however, whose view is as valid as anyone else who's actually been on the hydrofoil. That's why I said beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Edited: 07 July 2010, 12:46
vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hydrofoil Budapest to Vienna

Agree with Norman regarding the above - the quote given is obviously not from experience or poster would know the way from Vienna booat dock to city center.

These hydrofoils are soviet era boats - some reconditioned and outfitted but still old, noisy , mediocre food ,less than great comfort or ventilation and relatively slow when compared to new catamaran boats plying Vienna - Bratislva in 75 mminutes

just to advise the trip Budapest takes a listed 6 1/2 hours - often more depending upon conditions and traffic.

You must be at the departure dock 1 hour before departure - prolonging the journey. This makes for a long day - time and money saved by taking the train better used in Vienna for more sightseeing

The boat docks at the DDSG terminal along the Danube - you must walk a dstance from the dock to the most convenient line - The UBahn line U-1 Vorgarten stop - then ride toward the city center .

Living along the danube and frequently on it in various areas , I can say that the scenery is not that great in my opinion.

Yes, Beauty in the eye of the beholder - but for me - no fun or good scenery.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
987 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hydrofoil Budapest to Vienna

Hi

Not everyone (every visitor) is going have the same response. Depends on tastes and expectations (I guess).

Also, there are budget travellers and #5 (star) travellers and people in the middle too.

Accustomed as I am to dragging my bag up and down interchange stations on the metro in Moscow etc and 10 -15 minute walks from Train Station to Hotel (eg Prague, St Petersburg) to avioid a taxi fare, not being met by a taxi doesn't bother me.

Been to Budapest (loved it), likewise, been to Vienna (5 nights). Awesome, but not the same year, so haven't done the hydrofoil.

For me travelling is about experiencing the new and or not usually experienced. Doesn’t have to be luxury, doesn’t have to be splendid. Likewise, accommodation doesn’t have to be pin point city centre to be very suitable either. Travelling 3 or 4 stops (but not much further) or walking and enjoying the city and the locals can also be enjoyable experience. In some destinations, cost may dictate location.

Likewise, meals. McCafe, the healthy part of McDonalds and Subway and fruit and yoghurt can suffice to avoid expensive eating.

So in Russia I go to ballet and opera and in Vienna a Mozart concert at the Muzikverein and a Van Gogh exhibition at the Albertina, and the Spanish Riding School etc

and the Hydrofoil would be a must do for me to travel between two great cities in a novel way, on the mighty Danube if I had the chance . 6.5 hours on the Danube – impossible for me to see that this is not a great experience even if not world class.

I applaud the consistently great detail and information that the destination experts offer. This post is not intended to be a criticism either but to emphasise that opinions are opinions, and not all the same….but all are valid

Anyway, who is going to Win the FIFA World Cup?

Regards

DCtheKIwi

Mentioned in this post
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg
Northwestern District, Russia