We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna to Bratislava

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Vienna to Bratislava

Can one purchase a ticket on the day of travel, or is advance purchase required. I believe the journey takes around 1 hour, what is the cost of an adult ticket one way.

Thanks.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,374 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna to Bratislava

You can only buy on the day as it is a commuter train. It costs €14 return and I think that is the same as the single as well - not many people only go one way :)

You can get a ticket from one of the electronic machines, and it includes a day pass on the public transport in Bratislava

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna to Bratislava

Thank you. If there are more than one stations in Bratislava, which is the one for the centre. We would like to spend the day in Bratislava before our flight home. Is there somewhere we could store our small trolley cases for a few hours so that we can move around the city comfortably?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,531 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna to Bratislava

You should be aware that there are two stations in Bratislava being served from Vienna's Südbahnhof (East wing). The East wing is the part of the Südbahnhof which is currently not under demolition. One train service terminates at the Main Station (hl.st.) in Bratislava while the other train line heads for Petrzalka Station in the South of Bratislava. From both stations you need to take public transport in order to get to the center. The Main Station is slightly closer to the center of Bratislava but this does not justify waiting only for this train as you can easily take the bus from Petrzalka. I am not sure which number this certain bus has, but, as far as I remember, you have to take the pedestrian underpass to the other side of the train station in order to catch the mentioned center-bound bus. I think it is the #93 but check on arrival!

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna to Bratislava

Thankyou for your help. We are coming towards the end of July so perhaps the demolition will be finished and the station ok.

I hope someone can let me know if there is some lockers/storage in Bratislava as we don't want to have our luggage with us all round the city!

Our flight is not until later at night.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,531 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vienna to Bratislava

The station won't be okay as the erection of the new main station creates Vienna's largest construction site for a few years. Southbound traffic and international long-range railway traffic has been completely changed to Wien-Meidling Station, while regional trains still depart from an adapted "East Wing" which has already existed before. Just the access layout has been changed. Concerning your question about luggage storage, I remember seeing such facilities at the Main Station.

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,493 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vienna to Bratislava

If you want to go to the center of Bratislava

take the bus from Eurolines from U3 Stop Erdberg to Bratislava Novy most. The stopis at the beginning of the pedestrian zone and on the bottom of the castle hill.

Here is the time table: eurolines.at/uploads/7010_Bratislava_1412.pdf

Prices are mentioned on the timetable

Or you go directly to Bratislava airport and check in in advance if possible. Then you dont have any luggage to look after.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vienna to Bratislava

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.

8. Re: Vienna to Bratislava

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2010, 05:19