We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days to spend in Vienna & Budapest

San Francisco
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
7 days to spend in Vienna & Budapest

How many days should I spend in each city? I have a total of 7 days (including travel time between cities). If 7 is too much between the two, what would be a 3rd city to add that is along the way? I considered Salzburg but decided to scrap it since it doesn't make sense to backtrack.

Thanks!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days to spend in Vienna & Budapest

I'm going next week, so I can tell you what my plan is, and report back afterward on how it went :-)

I had planned 3.5 days in Budapest, then 3.75 days in Vienna (net of travel time. Now I'm thinking 4.5 Budapest and 2.75 Vienna, after doing some research, Budapest just appeals to me more. I spent a lot of time reading Frommer's online guides and following links to the sites for more info. It's probably more a matter of personal preferences.

It's a 3-hour bus ride or a 3-hour train ride between the 2 cities, plus the time for packing, checking out, getting to the station, then the reverse when you arrive. Also, I find that it is nigh impossible to enjoy a city of this size in only 2 days, so I would not try to fit in a 3rd. If you really must, I have been told that Brno (quite close to Vienna on the map) is lovely and easy to spend 2 days in.

BTW I arrive in Budapest after a 3 hour flight with a 1 hour time change. If you are coming straight from SFO, take into account that you may be zonked and jetlagged, and dragging your butt on your first day (maybe 2nd also).

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,306 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days to spend in Vienna & Budapest

I'd stick to the two cities. Probably split your time equally, but if not I'd give a little more to Vienna as there is more to see and do there. But a Budapest DE would probably say the opposite ;-)

russia
Level Contributor
319 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days to spend in Vienna & Budapest

THe separation between the cities depends on what is you expecation - you would like to enjoy the city only or also museums and theaters (what is vienna about).

If theaers or music is appealing to you spend more evenings in Vienna.

If you would lile to add something extra, add river part, e.g. in Wachau region.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days to spend in Vienna & Budapest

Thanks for all your responses. Will consider doing just the 2 cities then.

Pitzikat - would love to get your feedback after your trip. I'm not going until end of June so have plenty of time to plan. Am also arriving Vienna from Barcelona so it's only a few hours' flight.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 days to spend in Vienna & Budapest

It's been awhile since I got back, but I just found this thread again. Budapest was very interesting and I enjoyed my 4-1/2 days there in spite of way too much rain. Then I arrived in Vienna and fell in love. I had less than 3 days and wish I'd had double that. I can't say how much the weather affected my impressions - cooler while in Vienna, but no rain, and when the sun came out on my 3rd and final day, it was glorious. Vienna was just so much more beautiful than I had expected. I got lost and wandered the streets happily, truly a feast for the eyes.

With hindsight, after seeing the Schoenbrunn Summer Palace, I wish I had skipped the Hofburg Palace (less to see and very similar to the summer palace - not surprising as the same family lived in both), especially since there was so much I didn't get to see.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,474 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 days to spend in Vienna & Budapest

Thanks for coming back and narrating your experiences!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
6,024 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 days to spend in Vienna & Budapest

Haven't been to Budapest but fell in love with Vienna last year. We spent 3 days last fall and it just wasn't enough time. Going back for another 3 days next month.

8. Re: 7 days to spend in Vienna & Budapest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2011, 05:15