We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellow Tourist Tram

Adelaide
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Yellow Tourist Tram

We were hoping to use the red tram doing the Ring Road like we did in 2001, I have read that it can still be done but you have to break the journey and hop on the other tram thats fine with us. What I would like to know about the tourist tram where can I purchase the tickets, I can only see to buy them is online. can you pay for them on the tram?

360ee.Smartmobility
Sightseeing Tours, Segway Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Marco Pongratz-Lippitt Imperial Guide Vienna
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Vienna Greeters
Walking Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Wienfuehrung
Sightseeing Tours
vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellow Tourist Tram

It is not hard to use the Streetcars# 1 and 2 to make the Ring journey. But as you said - you now must change as the streetcars now have new routing from last year.

You can buy the yellow ring tram tickets from the usual ticket offices and also by the Yellow Tram

Have a look to the city transport system website

www.wienerlinien.at

it will provide info on various ticket types, ticket office locations and also perhaps helpful the new schedules and stops for the lines #1 and #2

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
24,604 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellow Tourist Tram

Just be informed that the yellow tourist tram is very expensive and thus a scam in my opinion. One ride costs 9€ which is very expensive if you take into account that they merely took an older tram (but not a nostalgic one), cleaned it up, mounted some monitors and installed an audio system. If you take the regular trams (transfer now required to remain on the ringstrasse) you can have it for 1.80€ or "free" if you have purchased a travelpass what is recommendable in most cases.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellow Tourist Tram

I believe the above post does not indicate the correct cost of the Ring Tram- a full ride around the Ring with audio is 6 euro - 4 euro for a child.

The 9 euro fee quoted is for the 24 hour ring ticket. This something that is not essential.

Easy to review all of the various tickets on the Wienerlinien site .

For a new visitor to Vienna and with limited time the yellow tram is an attractive way to be quickly introduced to the major sights of the city and their locations.

Many find it a useful tourist tool and not a scam.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna Ring Tram
Vienna Ring Tram
370 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Adelaide
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellow Tourist Tram

Thank you both, I shall not be using the tourist tram I am happy to use the street car but was just interested where you can buy the ticket. Yes 6 Euro for the 30 minute ride and 9 Euro for the day ticket which in fact the tram doesn't run all day, to me is a have. As you might want to do the trip during the day and also come back and do it at night to see the buildings lit up.

The tourist tram is great for the new comers visiting Vienna.

Thank you again

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
5. Re: Yellow Tourist Tram

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2010, 07:16