We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking arouond Vienna

Indiana
1 post
Save Topic
walking arouond Vienna

What is "not to miss" while walking around Vienna in late September?

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walking arouond Vienna

Look to the sightseeing possibilities on the Vienna Tourist website

www.wien.info

everyone likes different things - Schonbrunn Palace is the most visited of all tourist sights.

London, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walking arouond Vienna

Schonbrunn Palace is worth going to mainly for the gardens, unless you don't mind queuing for an hour or more to see the inside but personally I don't think the palace itself is worth the effort.

Vienna is a walker's paradise and once you are in the city centre just walk in any direction and you wil not be disappointed, it's one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walking arouond Vienna

Most tourists would not agree with the assessment of the above poster regarding Schonbrunn Palace. They are certainly in a very small minority. It is the most visited attraction in Vienna and in Austria..The interior rooms in many styles, and makes for a varied and interesting visit .

Tickets can be purchased online- no waiting at all. Poster should get the facts.

London, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walking arouond Vienna

Guess I've probably seen too many palaces in my travels, I have to admit I was decidedly underwhelmed with Schonbrunn internally (exterior and gardens wonderful).

However, as you rightly say, most people probably don't agree so it's really down to personal taste.

I just think that if time is limited Schonbrunn would not be for me a priority.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: walking arouond Vienna

Millions would not agree with the assessment above regarding Schonbrunn Palace. Definitely a " Must See "

Not just a most beautiful and well cared for Palace , but full of history.

A superb look to the past -included in the UNESCO World Heritage Status.

The rooms lovingly preserved . Many paintings and furniture are original.

This was the summer home home to Empress Maria Theresia and her huge family and many other Habsburg Monarchs including Emperor Franz Joseph and family.

Home to Napoleon on two occasions during his campaighns and time in Vienna.

All could have gone elsewhere , instead they chose Schonbrunn. Also home until his early death - Napoleons son, the Duke of Reichstadt. Even today his small carriage remains.

Scene of the famous Summit meeting of John Kennedy and Krushchev.

Thus so much to see and learn - no reason to miss this

Québec
Level Contributor
113 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: walking arouond Vienna

Schonbrunn is definitely a must-see. Lots of history in there.

Also, I have found the crypt where the emperors were buried very moving.

MD
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: walking arouond Vienna

I'll be in Vienna in late October (accompanied by a 4-year old) but only for half a day (transiting to another city). I' ve always wanted to see Vienna but once again, not enough time.

Any parts of Vienna you'd recommend for a leisurely walk? In general, I like city centers, plazas etc.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
6,024 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: walking arouond Vienna

We loved Schonbrunn Palace. Full of history on the inside and the gardens are so beautiful. Don't miss the carriage museum.

Some great photos of the palace and carriage museum on www.flickr.com

Murrysville, PA
Level Contributor
313 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: walking arouond Vienna

We loved Schonbrunn as well - we took the self guided tour with the headsets - and seeing the Gloriette just before dusk is worth a visit in and of itself in my humble opinion. We were there in December, so the gardens weren't so interesting. We also loved the zoo!

Level Contributor
623 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: walking arouond Vienna

I most definitely agree that Schonbrunn Palace is a " Must See” and I enjoyed my visit to the Palace and gardens with its crowning Gloriette.

However, since the poster is asking about what "not to miss" while walking around Vienna, I thought I would put together the following, from my recent experience in Vienna.

If one was looking for a walking tour of Vienna, I would suggest a walk or tram ride around the Ringstrasse, which enables one to see the "Gems of the Ring" such as the Academy of Fine Arts, Burggarten with its Statue of Mozart among other statues and fountains, Natural History Museum which faces Kunsthistorisches Museum – imposing twin buildings, the beautiful white palatial Parliament building and Volksgarten with its fine rose garden, City Hall (Rathaus) and opposite it Burgtheater (Austria ‘s National Theatre, the Vienna University with the frilly Votive Church nearby, and Stadtpark with gold and cream Kursalon concert hall and many statues.

Walking along Michaelerplatz, one can see the geometrically perfect grid of Loos House, the imposing fountain and arched decorative gate leading to a huge Rotunda and into the main courtyard of the huge Hofburg Palace complex. The architecture in Vienna is astounding and awe inspiring.

Walking along Stephansplatz which is the heart of the city with St. Stephen's Cathedral, one can visit the Cathedral and many of the attractions in the vicinity like the Pestsaule (Holy Trinity Plague Column) which is an extravagantly ornate Baroque-style 70-foot pillar built in thankfulness for the city being relieved from the plague many years ago.

Albertinaplatz, closeby, has a beautiful Neoclassical building with statues in alcoves. In the square there are also statues that make up the monument against War and Fascism - very moving.

In Hoher Markt there is an ancient ornate 'Anchor Clock' that spans two buildings. Instead of hands, the clock has 12 famous figures representing the hours, all of which parade to music at high noon.

Beside it is the 'Wedding Fountain' of Mary and Joseph with the High Priest marrying them under an Ornate brass baldachin with angels at each of the four large marble pillars holding up the baldachin - a very unusual motif in art and a rare treat to behold.

Nearby is Judenplatz with its striking Holocaust Memorial to the 65,000 Austrian Jews. It is an exceptional concept developed by an British architect. It is a square white structure that represents a library with a locked door and inverted books forming the four walls of the library, representing the lost lives.

I enjoyed walking in beautiful Vienna, taking in these unique sights and photographing them.

However, I spent 6 days in Vienna with the express intention of viewing and experiencing a lot more. I love history, art, viewing ancient imperial treasuries, and remarkable castles like Schronbrunn Palace and Gardens which transports one to the medieval world of Viennese royalty and grandeur. I enjoyed my visit to the impressive Benedictine Melk Abbey with its lovely frescoes and treasures, and the scenic cruise from Melk to Krems, my visit to the Hofburg Imperial Treasury - the Schatzkammer which is the best part of the Hofburg, my visit to Kunsthistorisches Museum with its world renown paintings, Karlskirche with a lot of beautiful Baroque elements that took my breath away, and the High Mass at St. Augustinekirche, with a full choir, orchestra, conductor, soloists - the works. It is like being at the Opera, and other such experiences.

I just thought I would list the sights I enjoyed while walking in the city, in reply to the poster's question.

Edited: 30 September 2010, 23:51