We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me plan a weekend trip in Vienna!

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
171 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Help me plan a weekend trip in Vienna!

My BF and I are traveling to Vienna for a weekend in late November and have no idea what to do or where to stay. We arrive early Saturday morning and depart late Monday evening. We are in our late 30's. What are things that we shouldn't miss? What about nightlife? We can do bars but prefer lounge type atmospheres. For hotel, it would be great to stay close to everything as we won't have a rental car.

Please bombard me with as much information as possible.

Thank you!

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me plan a weekend trip in Vienna!

Please provide the price range for the hotel.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
171 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me plan a weekend trip in Vienna!

We don't have a price point as we have no idea the costs of hotels in Vienna. We're thinking about staying center city and would like 3 stars and above. Central locations would be perfect - some place where during the day we can get around and then at night, easy to catch a cab to the bars/clubs...or even walk.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
460 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me plan a weekend trip in Vienna!

Vienna is a great walking city, but I would still get the transportation pass. Only takes a few trips on the underground, trams, or bus each day to pay off. Besides, you might find you like going into the outlaying areas of town for dinner and drinks just to get away from the tourist areas.

Touristy Mariahilfer Str has lots of shops and plenty of places to sleep, drink and dine as well. You can save a few Euros by lodging just outside of the Ring of the Old Town and still be very close to the town center. Getting a hotel close to an U-bahn station puts you only minutes away from most anything.

Check out TA's list of things to do in Vienna:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g190454-Activiti…

You don't have to do them all and you should leave time for just relaxing.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
6,025 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me plan a weekend trip in Vienna!

Just got back and loved our stay at Pension Sacher. Right in the middle of it all. Surrounded by shops, food, and pubs.

surrey
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me plan a weekend trip in Vienna!

Pardon me for asking but why are you going to Vienna when you don't know what to do when you get there?

We had a wonderful four days in Vienna. We had a few ideas of places we wanted to visit and came on the forum to ask further questions and got brilliant advice.

I would suggest you do some research of your own before you go to Vienna so that you make the most of your stay. Looking on the forum for ideas really does become addictive!

We particularly enjoyed a concert at the Musikverein and a guided tour the following day. As you will be going in November you may find the list of things to do if it is raining, very useful. The Haus der Musik was another favourite way to pass a few hours in the cold weather.

After looking on Trip Advisor we decided to stay at Das Triest hotel which is in the fourth district, just a short distance walk from the centre. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

I hope you enjoy your time in Vienna as much as we did.

regards, Fussy

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
171 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me plan a weekend trip in Vienna!

Fussy57 - We're going b/c that's where the BF wants to go. I've never been, never even considered it before but why not! It appears that Vienna has lots ot offer and I'm looking forward to going. Sooooooo, I'm on here asking about what to do and where to stay.....isn't that what this forum is about? I have been doing research and that includes posting here to get first hand accounts of staying and playing in Vienna.

Thanks everybody for their good suggestions, I took a quick break from work but will respond later this weekend. Please continue to help me plan my trip --- especially with hotel suggestions.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,536 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me plan a weekend trip in Vienna!

Jamerican71 - I would have to agree that you may be expecting too much of the forum. It is definitely not a substitute for a guide book. Look at the first post on this forum "Read this first: Welcome to the Vienna forum! " and you'll get ideas about how you can get general advice about Vienna before coming to the forum for help with more specific topics. Also look at the Vienna Tourist Board website for hundreds of ideas:

www.wien.info/en

As far as a hotel is concened Vienna has hundreds to suit every taste, budget, location and facilities. I could recommend a hostel for €40 per night or a luxury hotel for €400 per night. I could suggest something basic in the city center or something more luxurious for the same price in the suburbs. To get suggestions I do think you should be more specific on what you need and what you can afford. To get an overview of prices look at the hotel section on Tripadvisor. Put in your dates and look at the suggestions which will tell you for what price different establishments have rooms available for your dates. The tourist board site I mentioned above also has a hotel search facility.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
460 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me plan a weekend trip in Vienna!

"Please continue to help me plan my trip --- especially with hotel suggestions."

Only hotel we have stayed at in Vienna the NH Atterseehaus which I can highly recommend if you get a suite in the back. Normally thought of as a business hotel, but this is in the middle of a tourist area with lots of shops and cafes. Steps from a U-bahn making it only 15 minutes to the center of Old Town. Cost around 100E if booked in advance.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g190454-d231971…

Many things to do while there. City Center is fairly small and easily walkable. For us, St. Stephen's Cathedral is the center and worth seeing. Pay a few Euros to climb up the tower for a great view, or to go down in the catacombs. You should try to visit a palace or two to see what kind of furnishings the Royals were wasting money on a few hundred years ago. Now that the public can view and enjoy, the money hasn't been wasted. Music, art museum, history, opera lovers have lots of options.

We liked going through the Dorotheum auction house, on Dorotheergasse, to salivate over the items coming up for auction. If only we had a few million Euros, we could have picked up some nice knick-knacks there. As it was, we could barely afford the price of admission (free).

Some things you can only see in Vienna. Vienna Boy's Choir (9:00 Sunday Mass) in the Imperial Music Chapel, too late to get reservations now, but if you get there early, standing room is free. Spanish Riding School, Lipizzaner horses. Again, too late probably for reservations, but you might be able to get standing room tickets (which are not free). Hofburg Treasury is full of decorative attire worn by the Royals, including swords, robes, and bling.

Really for a weekend, I would say look at the list of things to do in Vienna here on TA or elsewhere, pick out a few that you and BF think are interesting. After experiencing Vienna, make plans to come back when you have more time.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
171 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me plan a weekend trip in Vienna!

Thank you everybody for your kind and helpful replies. I have my lists of things to do and see and now just trying to secure a hotel.

10. Re: Help me plan a weekend trip in Vienna!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2011, 07:15