We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strauss and Mozart concert

northern rivers
Level Contributor
84 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Strauss and Mozart concert

To all those enthusiatic and helpful experts,

I'm sure you have heard this question before. What is the Strauss and Mozart concert really like? We are really looking forward to our visit to Veinna and wanted to do something muisical while we were there. This concert seems to have everything, ballet, opera etc. Any idea what the seating is like or do you have to go VIP?

Always thankful for you advice :)

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,675 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Strauss and Mozart concert

These concerts tend to have everything but good music. They are aimed at tourists and the performers, who are doing the same thing night after night, understandably just go through the motions. Vienna generally has much better to offer. What are your dates so we can recommend things?

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Strauss and Mozart concert

Agree with the assessment made by Norman regarding these concerts.

I know the one at the Kursalon has " VIP " tickets .

In my opinion very expensive for the quality received.

Much may deend on your love of music and therefore music experiences.

My opinion , these would not rate highly.

Note that the seating area is on the flat floor - thos eseated in the back , do not have great views.

If you enjoy good music I would look elsewhere

Musikverein - many fine offerings in a superb and famous venue-

many times tickets much less than that shown above.

www.musikverein.at

Volksoper - most expensive ticket is 80 euro - many good ones in the 40-60 range

www.volksoper.at

save money- use it for a good dinner

Also avoid concert tickets by the costumed street ticket sellers found lurking near many tourists sites.

These " Mobile Ticket offices " often showing their book of pictures, pressure tactics and selling overpriced tickets to mediocre concerts.

Many found by Stephansdom and the Hofburg Palace.

northern rivers
Level Contributor
84 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Strauss and Mozart concert

Thankyou, I'm glad I asked the question. I was just about to pre order the tickets. Will check out your suggestions.

northern rivers
Level Contributor
84 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Strauss and Mozart concert

thanks for the reply, we will be in Vienna 9 - 12 April. I've checked out alot of the venues. I happen to like classical music and would like to find something nice. This trip is a special Birthday visit. Again many thanks and I really enjoy how you work together on the answers.

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Strauss and Mozart concert

Cool you come especially to my Birthday to Vienna (^_______^)

Roley and Vertical know everything about concerts in Vienna.

Just ask and they will give you the right options.

surrey
Level Contributor
2,516 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Strauss and Mozart concert

I would definitely recommend booking tickets for a concert at the Musikverin. After watching the New year's Day concerts on the television each year, my husband and I were thrilled to attend a concert there ourselves. We were also lucky enough to be able to book a tour of both concert halls. It was a wonderful experience and something we will remember for many many years to come.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Strauss and Mozart concert

Musikverein - as mentioned above a superb venue with perfect acoustics.

On April 9- 10-12

The Tonkunstler Orchestra - They, a well known state orchestra that performs regularly at this venue- reasonable prices too.

Volksoper

www.volksoper.at

12 th - Der Fledermaus a chance to experience this classic Vienna Operetta by Strauss.

This with good music, some dance and a little comedy too.

Reasonable pricing tickets available.

A nice end to this evening is a visit to the Cafe Weimar for a little food, pastry, drink .

This just a short walk away.

Normally excelent piano music too adding to a fun evening.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Strauss and Mozart concert

Some added info

If attendig the Musikverein - an added pleasure for the intermission- is the chance to reserve your place for a small snack with the famous Gerstners.

You book ahead - at least 24 hours with a menu of your wish - then it awaits you at a place to make quite an added thing for your visit.

info for this on the Musikverein site

or

www.gerstner.at

Fledermaus / The Bat

some special things to it -

The Count - this role by tradition is usually filled by a woman .

The drunked jailer 3rd act offers comedy - watch the calendar , light , etc.

Most times a monologue too- comments about current events , poltics etc.

german speaking audience may laugh at several comments

northern rivers
Level Contributor
84 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Strauss and Mozart concert

Fantastic, will check it out. I speak some German and understand it very well so I hope hear the little funny things being said. Many thanks :)

northern rivers
Level Contributor
84 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Strauss and Mozart concert

Hi Veritical

I just booked my tickets for a concert at the Muiskiverein and wanted to find out about the little snack you suggested we get from Gerstner. I cannot find any information on it at all on either web site. Can you please give me more info. I thought it was a fun thing to do and wanted to check it out.

Many thanks