We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna Boys Choir Sunday Mass Seating Options

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
289 posts
335 reviews
Save Topic
Vienna Boys Choir Sunday Mass Seating Options

I wanted to repost this information under a more specific subject heading because I thought it was invaluable!

When ordering tickets, please specify

the number of tickets,

the date of the mass you want to attend

the price category you have chosen.

Remember to leave your address, fax number or e-mail address

Holy Mass is performed by the Wiener Hofmusikkapelle including the Vienna Boys’ Choir

at the Hofburg Chapel on 25th of December and every Sunday morning

between 13 September 2009 and 27 June 2010.

There are no masses July and August.

The performance starts at 9.15 am (duration depends on the mass performed).

You can order tickets in advance by fax, postcard or e-mail.

The price per ticket is 5, 14, 17, 21, 26 or 29 euros.

There are no reductions. Children under 6 years may attend free, if they sit on one's lap.

Short description of the seats in the Chapel:

During Holy Mass the priest is celebrating at the altar, the Choir and musicians are performing at the organ gallery which is located behind high up on 3rd floor. At the end of Mass the Vienna Boys Choir come to the altar to sing one motet and to be seen.

Places

at 29 and 26 euros offer very good / good view to the altar

at 21 euros in "Hausoratorium" offer a view (partly over a mirror) to part of the choir and musicians, no sight to the altar

at 21 euros in the 1st row of an oratorio offer view to the altar / there are only 2 places

at 17 euros in the row before the last one on the gallery (1st and 2nd floor) offer view to the altar

at 14 euros in the last row on the gallery (1st and 2nd floor) offer only restricted view to the altar

at 14 euros in the oratorio are only to listen, not to see

at 5 euros in the oratorio are only to listen, not to see

The standing room is free and opens at 8.30 am on Sunday.

Tickets will not be sent to you, but you can collect them at the booking office at

the Hofburg Chapel on the Friday before your chosen date between 11 am and 1 pm and

between 3 pm and 5 pm or immediately before mass between 8.15 and 8.45 am.

Please be prepared to pay cash. Credit cards or cheques will not be accepted.

If you order a large number of tickets or tickets for Christmas time we expect you

to pay in advance by bank transfer.

We request you to take your seats till 8.50. In some oratorios and on the galleries communion is not distributed. Please tell the usher, he’ll show you the way to take communion.

Thanks in advance!

Please note that photographing, filming or tape recording is not permitted during mass.

Opening hours for visiting the Chapel: Monday-Thursday 11am-3pm, Friday 11am-1pm, closed

on holidays ( 26th of October, 1st of November, 8th of December, 25th and 26th of December, 2008: 24th of March, 1st, 12th and 22nd of May, 7th of June, 15th of August.)

ohio
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna Boys Choir Sunday Mass Seating Options

Thanks for posting that summary.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
289 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna Boys Choir Sunday Mass Seating Options

just so i don't take credit for it, it was already posted by another TA member, but hidden in a bunch of posts. i just reposted it.

Montclair, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna Boys Choir Sunday Mass Seating Options

Can you pay by CREDIT card? I am having trouble figuring out how to order and pay for tickets for September, as there are NO "Bank Transfer"

instructions posted anywhere! Of curse, it would be much easier

to use a credit card.

Thank you.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna Boys Choir Sunday Mass Seating Options

You can not pay for tickets via a credit card.

A bank transfer option is available for transactions more than 50 euro.

Unfortunately the above notice was not complete.

many discussions on this very subject recently -, you can find them using the search box here - inserting "vienna boys choir " or similar

one such discussion and payment info

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190454-k4232446

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vienna Boys Choir Sunday Mass Seating Options

interesting checked suppied site above - now some added things

try www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190454- i147-k4232446

not working again - if unsuccessful just use search box - look for 2011 postings

Edited: 06 April 2011, 14:41
San Diego
Level Contributor
425 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vienna Boys Choir Sunday Mass Seating Options

" seats in the oratorio are only to listen, not to see"

I have always been confused by the use of the word oratorio in this context as both Google and Websters Dictionary define ORATORIO as a piece or type of music. So my question is this. Exactly what am I NOT going to see. The Mass, the boys singing during Mass, the boys singing AFTER the Mass when they are on the altar, some or all of this ?

Will I be so isolated with these seats that I see nothing and only hear everything or what?

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
289 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vienna Boys Choir Sunday Mass Seating Options

Just got back from Vienna and the mass including the Vienna boys choir. Here is my update:

I reserved the €5 seats in the oratorio, we decided based on the first post I put on this topic that it wasn't worth it for the extra money to not see much more. I will describe the seating in the 1st and 2nd floor oratorio from what I saw and experienced (€5, €14, €21 seats).

First off, we got there to see a huge line formed outside the church, but because we had reservations we went right in. Went up to the 2nd floor, and from the entryway which was a small aisle, there were 4 rows of seats to the left, and 4 to the right, with 2 seats only at the very front. Each row seated approximately 15 people per side, in very tight rows with little leg room.

The rows of seats are facing the 3:00 side of the church, if the altar is at the 12:00 position. The Vienna Boys Choir set up opposite the altar and high up (where the organ usually is on a church) at the 6:00 position. Our seats were therefore at the 9:00 position. If you sat at the very last seats in the last row (#45-#47) you could get a partial view of the altar boys from the angle. In this section they have 3 tv's - small ones on the left and right sides and a larger one in the middle videoing the whole mass, then switching to the VBC when its their turn to sing. So technically you can see everything from the oratorio. They also have mirrors positioned at the balcony wall area facing so the altar so that the altar or VBC are reflected back in it, which only works if your seats are in this line of sight.

Except for the 2 seats in the very front row, none of the seats had views to the altar.

Now, just an honest piece about the service. After 5 minutes, almost all 60 of the people on my side were sleeping. My friends were as well. The service itself was quite dull, and obviously not in English. Being Catholic, I know that some services can be boring, but there are also good ones where the priests are more animated and energetic. This was not the case here, in my opinion. Due to the fact that we were packed in like cattle, we would not have been able to get up and leave without making our whole row get up and leave. For that reason, if I were to ever go back again (no plans to do that), I would definitely wait in line for the standing room tickets, stay for a few songs and leave. If you plan to stay for the whole service then I would recommend seats so you don't have to stand through the whole service, but other than that, put yourself in a position where you have the ability to leave if you so choose. Only a few people on my side (left side holding 60 people) stayed awake through the service, most were out soon into it. Just so you know what to expect.

San Diego
Level Contributor
425 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Vienna Boys Choir Sunday Mass Seating Options

Sandi- Excellant but you forgot just one item- the much talked about how many songs the VBC sings after the mass up at the altar- how many or how long?

Overall was it worth it?

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
289 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vienna Boys Choir Sunday Mass Seating Options

the VBC sang 4 songs - but we left around communion time because it had already been an hour and 20 minutes and it was just too long. They might have sang a song at the end, not sure.

To me, it was not worth the time spent there that could have been spent walking around outside in the gorgeous city and sunshine that we had that day. If I were to do it again, I'd attempt standing room only and leave after a few songs. Quite honestly the choir didn't seem that into it either. I feel like I sound like a "hater" and I'm not trying to be, I just had high expectations that were DEFINITELY not met.

San Diego
Level Contributor
425 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Vienna Boys Choir Sunday Mass Seating Options

Sandi- I can fully appreciate your disappointment- just in last couple weeks I attended a VBC concert in San Diego as part of their US tour and was highly disappointed. 17 boys only , three walking offstage during the performance for unk reason, one other coughing whole time, but worse of all was that there were no stage mikes making them lost on an immense stage suitable for a couple hundred performers and without any musical instrument accompaniment. They were barely audible.

By the way I am a GREAT fan of VBC having more than 200 of their performance videos and selections. But looks like I will sadly bypass them in my upcoming trip to Vienna