We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June Itinerary Salzburg, Vienna, Prague, Cesky K?

Auburn, California
Level Contributor
49 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
June Itinerary Salzburg, Vienna, Prague, Cesky K?

So far my rough itinerary looks like this for my husband and I who love biking, hiking and music

1 night in Salzburg (2 days) Wed

1 night in Halstatt (Thur)

2nights in Krems (to allow for full day bike ride on Danube) Fri/Sat

1 night Vienna( Sun)

1 night Cesky k (Mon)

2 nights Prague (Tues-Wed)

Originally, I was going to train straight from Vienna to Prague and then day trip to Cesky, but am now thinking it might be more time/cost efficient to spend a night in Cesky. Comments .. Advice??

(We will have a car until Vienna where we turn it in before checking into hotel. From Vienna, we will do bus or train)

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
23,533 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June Itinerary Salzburg, Vienna, Prague, Cesky K?

Skip Cesky Krumlov and stay one more night (day) in Vienna. Going to Cesky Krumlov from Vienna means to perform a detour which is not really justified in my opinion. From Vienna to Prague it is very easy by train. Trains depart a few times each day, go direct and only take 4h30min.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
16,132 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June Itinerary Salzburg, Vienna, Prague, Cesky K?

One night Vienna, two nights Prague? Woefully inadequate for both IMO. If you've only eight days you're trying to do too much. Better to either go for a city break taking in Vienna and Prague or spend your time in the beautiful countryside.

Auburn, California
Level Contributor
49 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June Itinerary Salzburg, Vienna, Prague, Cesky K?

Thank you to both Mikey and Norman. I am weighing your comments. I appreciate your time and insight.

TeriJ

Edited: 11 April 2011, 02:57
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,896 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June Itinerary Salzburg, Vienna, Prague, Cesky K?

Indeed - cut out Cesky Krumlov - it is tourist central and has all the trappings that go with such a place and is consequently a bit overrated - sure it is a nice little town, but then so are many more places. It just happens that Rick Steves or whoever wrote about it and the hordes started flocking.

Besides, it is a long journey to CK from Prague (by bus) and even longer from Vienna (by train, with changes) - if you had longer than 8 days I would suggest you stayed overnight as it is much better in the evening once everyone has gone. Of course, it is totally up to you :) If you DO decide you want to go there from Vienna then here is some more information oebb.at/en/…index.jsp - it is €29 return, which is cheaper than the single, and you buy on the day - trains go from Franz-Josefs-Bahnhof and you change at České Velenice and České Budějovice.

There is also a private road shuttle, but I know little about that as the situation seems to change all the time - look it up in the Czech Republic forum.

If you want to do a more manageable day trip from Prague then Kutná Hora is also a UNESCO world heritage site and is only 1 hour by train - buy ticket locally , and it is very cheap.

Auburn, California
Level Contributor
49 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June Itinerary Salzburg, Vienna, Prague, Cesky K?

Thank you for the thoughtful suggestions.

I will skip CK this time, but am still trying to decide whether I want two nights in Vienna and two in Prague or one and three. I originally opted for only one Sunday in Vienna because I will be in Austria for awhile with Salzburg Hallstatt and Kremms. Besides I think Prague hotels are a little better priced. But I plan to research more on both places.

6. Re: June Itinerary Salzburg, Vienna, Prague, Cesky K?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 14:18