We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna to Munich (new post)

London, United...
Level Contributor
614 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Vienna to Munich (new post)

Hi

Could anyone let me know the best way to get from Vienna to Munich. It looks like the train but should I travel with Railjet or ICE and is it cheaper to book on the OBB tourism website or can I just buy a ticket at the station on the day of travel?

Thanks in advance.

Pedal Power Bike and Segway
Segway Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Instant Tours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Photography Tours
Hotrod Tour Wien
City Tours, Cultural Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,780 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna to Munich (new post)

You did not mention your travel date. If it is still 90 days ahead, then it would be cheaper booking directly with OEBB. Discounted fares are as cheap as € 29 for 2nd class on the Railjet

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,604 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna to Munich (new post)

You can book at www.oebb.at or www.bahn.de

If you pre-book, fares start at 29 euros, as hadiwi says.

Railjet and ICE are both booked at these sites, both are great trains, take whichever suits your timetable best.

London, United...
Level Contributor
614 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna to Munich (new post)

Thanks. It's for the 30th June so maybe prices will be the same at the station.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna to Munich (new post)

My daughter is 14 years 10 months. Pl advise if she is still considered as 14 years under the Raijjet booking system and therefore eligible for free travel on second class.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
23,269 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vienna to Munich (new post)

Why should she be entitled to free transportation? As far as I know she gets 50% off. If she was older than 15, then she had to pay 100%.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vienna to Munich (new post)

I went on the oebb site and trial selected the 29e ticket for 2 adults and 1 child under 15. The total bill came up to 58e. I concluded that child travels free.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,923 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vienna to Munich (new post)

When I went to school 14 years 10 months was definitely "under 15". As long as that will be your daughter's age when you travel and not just when you buy the tickets. ;-)

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
23,269 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vienna to Munich (new post)

Well, then it seems to be okay. But this is definitely not possible on regular tickets!

Edited: 15 November 2011, 17:52
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,716 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vienna to Munich (new post)

On international sparscheine journeys children under the age of 15 travel for free oebb.at/de/…index.jsp

10. Re: Vienna to Munich (new post)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2013, 10:19