We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay for 4 nights?

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maine
Level Contributor
34 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay for 4 nights?

My husband and I will be in Vienna for 4 nights in early October. Neither of us have been there before and want to see everything, of course! I'd like to know the best location for a hotel that would allow us to walk and or take public transportation w/o a hassle.

We are huge classical music lovers, so any hints on what to hear would be appreciated, too.

Thanks.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
1,538 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay for 4 nights?

It's always a good idea to stay in or around the historic first district (postcode 1010, Innere Stadt), which is encircled by the famous Ringstraße boulevard (built around 1850 to replace the then useless city-walls), along which many of Vienna's famous buildings are lined up. The hotel-ranking here on TA including the maps is good to start your search.

As for classical music, we'd need the exact dates to recommend specific events, but you might want to start searching at the following sites:

www.musikverein.at

www.konzerthaus.at

www.staatsoper.at

Maine
Level Contributor
34 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay for 4 nights?

Thank you. I will follow up on all your suggestions.

Our dates are Oct. 8-12th, then on to Prague.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
822 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay for 4 nights?

There are also a lot of concert ticket sellers always at Stephan's Dome yard and Opera. But if you want some top quality and you stay only 4 days you might want to prepurchase the tickets.

I didn't completely understand the value of Ringstraße, or maybe I just saw a bit of it from a sightseeing bus, and there was a heavy traffic. I also walked it a bit. It's 4 km long and maybe not so easy go "through" because you have to cross streets all the time. So I wouldn't plan a sightseeing on "walking on Ringstrasse" because it's timetaking and you'll get to the attractions much easier by metro. Before going to Vienna I thought Ringstrasse is something that you recongise easily around Inner Stadt.

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,575 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay for 4 nights?

why the metro and miss seeing things.

Take the normal trams and hop of any stop you want on the Ringstrasse

Fuerth, Germany
Level Contributor
1 post
233 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay for 4 nights?

I woud stay in Hotel Papageno. Please read my review. We stayed in this hotel about 10-times. All our stays were o.k. But ask for a renovate room at the top (4th) floor.

Kind regards from Schwabach/ Bavaria

Konstantin85

Ohio
Level Contributor
247 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay for 4 nights?

You may also want to check out Pension Nossek.

http://www.pension-nossek.at - use google to translate page to English

It is located on the Graben, a pedestrian only street. It is 1/2 way between St. Stephen's and the Imperial Palace. It is a great location and is within less than a 5 min walk to 2 different metro stops / lines. They don't have a lot of rooms and tend to book up, but check them out.

The staff was very friendly and fluent in English.

7. Re: where to stay for 4 nights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 13:17