We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prague, Vienna, Amsterdam - How many days each?

chicago
Level Contributor
56 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Prague, Vienna, Amsterdam - How many days each?

My wife and I (mid-30's) will be traveling through Prague, Vienna, and Amsterdam at the beginning of this September for 10 days (not including travel days).

We are having a hard time determining how many days to allocate to each city as neither of us have ever been to any of these cities before. We would love some suggestions!

To help, here's a bit about us: We love to walk cities when we travel, see sites, take photos, see how a city is laid out , its architecture, and people watch. We're not huge museum people, but are always up for something unique. We like to eat a casual lunch with beer/wine and then have a little nicer, more substantial dinner at night, then grab a drink (bar, lounge, no clubs) or dessert somewhere else.

We are up for side trips from the major city we visit, but we're not sure we have the time this trip, unless it would be for something we can't miss.

Thank you!

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,481 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prague, Vienna, Amsterdam - How many days each?

Having been to all these cities on more than one occasion I can tell you that each would be equally demanding of your time. I'd give two of them 3 days and whichever you lean towards more 4 days. I suspect you'll leave each one wishing you'd had a little more time.

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
441 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prague, Vienna, Amsterdam - How many days each?

My advise: don't go out of the cities, since there's too much to see already!

In Prague there are several medieval restaurants that are not expensive and good for a laugh. Climb some towers there, the view is brilliant! I loved the tour of the city hall, seeing the inside of the Astronomical clock. Of Course Carlsbridge and the Castle. Brewery U Fleku is a great stop for lunch, and by all means: take the tour!

In Vienna don't miss the palace Hofburg and only a little bit out of town but do able" Schloss Schonbrunn" (take your apfelstrudle in the cafe in the castle garden!). And I think the Naschmarkt is right up your alley, to get sausages but also cake!. Fun to visit is also Prater. Not to be missed: eating cake at Demel!

Amsterdam is probably the place I know most about (and you can contact me anytime when you're in the neighbourhood, I'd love to show you around or give advise), but of course, since it's near, you tend to take it for granted.. I like the Bols- experience, nice and different, the Dam- square Palace, pancakes for lunch, drinks something in either 'In 't Aepjen' or 'De Schreierstoren' , go to the Westermarkt, Waterlooplein or shop in 'De negen straatjes' (really nice and authentic streets with all kinds of small shops).

Amsterdam is easy on foot, as is Prague, but in the Old part streets tend to be a bit hilly, so it can be a climb. For Vienna I would recommand to by a public transportation card, so you can ride the different trams and metros, especcially when going to Schonnbrunn.

I'll try to post some trip lists under my profile tomorrow, itenaries of our visits, maybe that will help you decide where you want to spend the extra day...

Vienna, Austria
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Prague, Vienna, Amsterdam - How many days each?

Hello,

On the website of the Vienna Tourist Board you can find suggestions for a three-day-trip to Vienna. Here is the link:

wien.info/myvienna/…wien-in-72-stunden

Unfortunately the website is in german, but I think it's useful.

Ines

Vienna Tourist Board

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prague, Vienna, Amsterdam - How many days each?

It would be helpful if employees of the Vienna Tourist Board would know what is on their own website-

The statement that the 72 hour info is in only in german is not factual-

I believe non german speaking individuals would find a german only set of suggestions not very helpful or a t best requires good translation.

look here

www.wien.info/en/sightseeing/tours-guides/ 72-hours-1

I think those contributing millions of euro to maintain the Board deserve accurate responses .

This is easily found in english-

nyc
Level Contributor
92 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prague, Vienna, Amsterdam - How many days each?

Been to all three, and I'd say concentrate on Vienna. Two days each in Prague and Amsterdam should suffice (as I was underwhelmed by both), and leave as much time as possible for Vienna. If it's casual lunches with good beer/wine you're after, and great food/desserts, then Vienna will surely not disappoint, whereas the other two cities might.

Edited: 13 July 2011, 22:39
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,971 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prague, Vienna, Amsterdam - How many days each?

You will find a range of different answers as everybody has had a different experience.

Toss a coin!

Vienna, Austria
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Prague, Vienna, Amsterdam - How many days each?

Hello Vertical,

Thank your for the right link.

Ines

Vienna Tourist Board

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prague, Vienna, Amsterdam - How many days each?

Opinions will vary, but here are mine:

1. Amsterdam

2. Prague

3. Vienna

So I say 3 Prague, 3 Vienna (with day trip to Melk Abbey), 4 Amsterdam.

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
441 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prague, Vienna, Amsterdam - How many days each?

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i25444-4_days_i…

This is my triplist for Vienna, Prague will follow today

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
441 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prague, Vienna, Amsterdam - How many days each?

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i25459-4_days_i…

Our Itenary for Prague.

I just have to edit Amsterdam....