We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Central Europe Trip

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Central Europe Trip

I am planning a trip in late October - starting in Berlin (2 days), then Prague (4 days) , Budapest (3 days), Vienna (3 days), and ending in Munich (3 days). Is this too much to do in 15 days? Also, is the number of days we planned in each city a good amount?

We are into seeing the cities, culture, food, wine, etc. A couple in their late 20's.

Thanks!

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,488 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Central Europe Trip

Not sure why you give Prague four days and Berlin only two - I'd even them up. At first glance 3 days per city seems OK, but when you take off the travelling time it starts to seem tight. Maybe you could consider dropping one of the German cities - or are you governed by flights?

Edited: 18 July 2011, 20:15
Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Central Europe Trip

I'd take one day off Budapest (like the twin sister of Vienna, but Vienna has soooooo much more to offer), and I'd add that day to Berlin (as noted above).

Also, I'd take one day off Munich and add it to Vienna.

Yes, you're squeezing a lot into your 15 days, but I'm taking for granted this is your first visit to Central Europe, and after this trip you can plan a return visit to your favorites. You'll be rushed, but you'll get your first taste of different flavors.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
825 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Central Europe Trip

In Berlin you got doing for at least 3 days. There are so many world-known sights. It's not though Paris or London but still timetaking.

Slingerlands, New...
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
373 posts
521 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Central Europe Trip

I have only done two of the cities you mention, but I too would take a day off Munich and give it to Vienna, or better would be a day in Salzburg.

Philadelphia Area
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Central Europe Trip

<I am planning a trip in late October - starting in Berlin (2 days), then Prague (4 days) , Budapest (3 days), Vienna (3 days), and ending in Munich (3 days). Is this too much to do in 15 days? >

I have been to all the cities except Berlin. Without knowing what "specific" sites interest you, it would be a bit difficult to answer your question. I would suggest going to Prague for 3 days and adding the day to Berlin. (Museums, Budapest Baths, side/day trips, castle trips, etc all would play a factor of how many days you need somewhere).

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Central Europe Trip

Thank you all for your help. Yes we are held to Germany cities for the flights (flying into Berlin out of Frankfurt).

I think we might even up the cities (3 days each in Berlin, Prague, Budapest, Vienna, Munich). That way each city has the same amount of time to see each place. We are not really into museums - but of course want to see the big sights in the cities - more into getting a feel for the city- food, wine, just roaming around.

Munich I did want to take a trip to Neuschwanstein - is this worth the trip?? Since Disney based their Cinderella's castle after it- I figured it might be worth it?

We know it will be tight - but we have done this type of trip to Europe before with trains between each city and we were fine. This will give us a glance at central europe - then we will come back to the cities we want to spend more time in.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Central Europe Trip

Also- I looked at the Budapest baths- my husband doesn't sound too interested it in?? Can someone explain what these are - they are spas with pools that you go in? I looked at reviews and the websites for some of them- it seems like they are like a swim club? And people don't wear cloths? Or do people wear bathing suits? And the men and women are on different sides- so I wouldn't see my husband anyway?

Sorry any clarification would be helpful - i was a little confused?

British Columbia
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Central Europe Trip

Neuschwanstein is definitely worth it. Munich is a little dull after the glories of Vienna. A trip to the castles lets you see some of the Bavarian countryside. We took the bus tour which also stopped at Oberamergau and Linderhof Palace although a little rushed at these locations. Taking the train directly to Fuessen is another option.

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Central Europe Trip

First, the Gellert Baths are the most famous in Budapest. They are mineral baths ---- and yes, you wear a bathing suit.

Second, since you have now told us you are ending your trip in Frankfurt (to fly back to the USA), why not end your trip in Mainz (instead of Munich)? Mainz is really a super nice small city (the Frankfurt airport lies between Frankfurt and Mainz). This makes for an easy transfer to the airport. Mainz has the Gutenheim Museum (very interesting), and you must, must, must see the Marc Chagall windows in St. Stephen's church. It is something most tourists don't even know about, and people going to Mainz usually miss this beautiful art. You can thank me later for this tip.

Read this: St. Stephen’s is the only German church for which the Jewish artist Marc Chagall (1887 - 1985) created windows. Born in Russia, the artists spent the longest period of his life in France. Blue light shines through the stained glass into the interior of St. Stephen’s, and not only angels but other Biblical figures move apparently ethereally in this light.

“The colours address our vital consciousness directly, because they tell of optimism, hope and delight in life”, says Monsignor Klaus Mayer, who imparts Chagall’s work in mediations and books. He established contact with Chagall in 1973, and succeeded in persuading the “master of colour and the biblical message” to set a sign for Jewish-Christian attachment and international understanding in the east chancel. In 1978, the first Chagall window by the then 91-year-old artist was fitted. A further eight followed, six for the east chancel and three in the transept.

A couple years ago my dentist and his lady friend were on a Rhein river cruise, which stopped in Mainz. I told them not to miss the windows. When their boat docked in Mainz, the other passengers took a regular city tour, while my dentist and friend went to the Museum, sat in a cafe in the main square, and visited the church to see the Chagall windows. They thanked me profusely for the Chagall window tip, and they said all the other passengers at dinner were green with envy, because they never heard about them or visited the church to see them.

Philadelphia Area
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Central Europe Trip

I too took the bus tour of Lindhorf, Oberamergau, and Neuschwanstein. Yes, very worth it. If you do it, do not eat lunch at Neuschwanstein. Go to the snack stand and shove something in your mouth or you will not have enough time to add the bridge to your tour. Next, Szechenyi Baths...worth it also. Yes, it is like 3 pools outside, but they are springs. The difference, cool, warm, very warm. The pools inside HOT! It's a great experience that you can experience together. At Szechenyi it is men and women mixed with bathing suits on. The other baths can be separated and have nudity. The metro will take you to the bathhouse.

Here is a link for photos of Prague, Budapest, and Vienna to help you on your way: www.zamsgallery.com