We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Vienna to Kosice ????

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rabat
Level Contributor
107 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from Vienna to Kosice ????

Hi,

I wish to know how can we travel from Vienna to Kosice in Slovakia in the month of December?? We wish to travel either by bus or train as we arent allowed to drive yet. We are going to be 4 people.

If possible someone give me a link to some websites which are with ebglish language, please.

Regards,

G

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,531 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Vienna to Kosice ????

In any case Bratislava is your gateway to the East of Slovakia. Info on trains ex Austria can be found on the website of Austrian Railways ÖBB (www.oebb.at). I remember a direct train from Vienna to Kosice long ago - no idea whether it still exists. I would also access the website of Slovak Railways and/or place this question in the Bratislava forum.

Rabat
Level Contributor
107 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Vienna to Kosice ????

Thanks

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,374 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Vienna to Kosice ????

www.cp.sk (English button bottom right)

There was once a direct train - I got it about 4 years ago but no longer runs. It would be best if you bought the ticket from Vienna to Bratislava in Vienna and then Bratislava to Košice separately in the time that you will have between trains as it will probably work out cheaper that way: €14 return Vienna- Bratislava, and c. €23 Bratislava - Košice on the express train, with a discount as there are 4 of you, so probably c. €19 each. These tickets cannot be bought in advance on-line.

If you buy the ticket from Vienna to Košice in Vienna it will cost c. €65 so it makes sense to buy them separately as above.

On the train sit on the left hand side of the train facing travel - if the weather is good you will get spectacular views of the High Tatra mountains as you get further east.

Stellenbosch...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Vienna to Kosice ????

Hello!

This is really great news. Does this train still run? I am trying to go from Vienna to Kosice right before Christmas time (around December 21/22).

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,493 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Vienna to Kosice ????

You can also try the bus from Eurolines

eurolines.at/uploads/7001_Kosice-CH_05112011…

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
13,829 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from Vienna to Kosice ????

GCEK clearly said it "no longer runs".

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,374 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling from Vienna to Kosice ????

It may be that in the new timetable they might re-introduce it, but that is only a maybe, and the timetable doesn't come out until the end of October/beginning of November.

The pricing info in no. 3 is still more or less valid, though, but the prices can only go up ...

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
13,829 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling from Vienna to Kosice ????

Why only up?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,374 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling from Vienna to Kosice ????

Have you heard of train prices going down? :)

As an illustration, since writing point 3 above, the price is now €24 on the express train.

Or I suppose there is always the 'slow' train (takes an hour longer than the express) which is €18.70 and isn't actually that bad comfort-wise, provided you sit in the right carriage. Slovak trains have been extensively refurbished recently.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
13,829 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling from Vienna to Kosice ????

Yes, when local authorities decide to subsidise a route or routes.